Kerkini Lake, Central Macedonia

• 3 Replies

Hilary

Kerkini Lake, Central Macedonia
« on: June 20, 2022, 07:13:34 AM »
CENTRAL MACEDONIA, GREECE
Kerkini Lake, an artificial reservoir   
The best time to visit this lake is during the winter when the migratory birds pass by. However, when we went at the end of May we enjoyed a boat trip in the lake. Our well informed ‘Captain’ told us all the details of how and when the lake was created, the names of the few birds we did see and the names of the various trees on the edge of the lake. He also told us how the water rises and falls about four to five meters, the highest in the spring and the lowest in the autumn due to the winter rains which the river Strymonas/Struma brings down from Bulgaria and how the water is used to water the crops on the plain of Serres.
I enjoyed the peacefulness of the lake seeing some birds at a distance, noticing   the trees on the edge of the lake which are sometimes edged by a dirt road when the level of the water drops and their bare trunks and some roots are exposed

Although I was hoping to see water lilies, I did like seeing Nymphoides peltata leaves making a floating carpet on the water, and the tidy olive groves on the otherwise rolling, bush clad hills. 
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Hilary

Re: Kerkini Lake, Central Macedonia
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2022, 05:03:57 AM »
LAKE KERKINI, CHRISOCHORAFA, A BUFFALO FARM

Chrisochorafa, a village behind an embankment and below the level of the lake.
We went there to see a buffalo farm and to walk in the fields
The boat is in a canal between the embankment and the village and fields

MGS member

Hilary

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2022, 08:31:10 AM »
KERKINI LAKE INFORMATION CENTRE, KERKINI VILLAGE
Next stop a drive up to Kerkini village to see the Information Centre. It was very well set up and all the information you could possibly want about the lake and its environs was available. We were given a couple of lovely booklets with photos and information
I took some photos, which turned out to be rather out of focus, of various parts of the exhibition.
1 The cover of one of the booklets
2 A page inside the booklet
3 A photo of part of the exhibition to give you an idea of what it was like
4 A photo of a lily, possible Lilium martagon which is a protected species
5 A photo of Iris pseudacorus, Yellow Iris which grows in the marshes
6 A photo of what you can see in the Shrublands and Woodlands
7 A photo of what you can see in the Forest
8 And All we are saying is GIVE BEES A CHANCE. This poster must have been added by some another organization
We went to the small port at Kerkini and found a children's school excursion the boys playing football and the girls taking selfies with the lake as a background
MGS member

Hilary

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2022, 08:05:43 AM »
KERKINI LAKE, VYRONIA, CENTRAL MACEDONIA

I knew there was a taverna at Vyronia railway station and my husband knew the station had an historic association

One of the Plane trees at the station/ taverna has this plaque embedded in its trunk commemorating a meeting between King Constantine 1 of Greece and Eleftherios Venizelos, Prime Minister  in 1913
MGS member