Help - Grafting

• 4 Replies

gertrude

Help - Grafting
« on: December 12, 2021, 05:36:41 PM »
During a gale last night my mimosa took a hit and the central part (approx 1 metre) has broken off, is there any chance that it may graft together again. 
Pete and Jan retired to le Marche, Italy 20 years ago for a quiet,  sunny life.  Gardening here was a challenge, but we now have a wonderful garden, with an eclectric selection of plants,  including many wild  flowers and orchids of which we are found of.

John J

Re: Help - Grafting
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2021, 06:04:27 PM »
Do you have a photo to give an idea of the damage?
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2021, 08:01:15 AM »
Always worth a try I would think but if we get a hard winter, as seems likely to me, I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope😟
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

gertrude

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2021, 11:52:23 AM »
pictures attached
Pete and Jan retired to le Marche, Italy 20 years ago for a quiet,  sunny life.  Gardening here was a challenge, but we now have a wonderful garden, with an eclectric selection of plants,  including many wild  flowers and orchids of which we are found of.

John J

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2021, 05:24:31 AM »
From the photos it looks as though it might be possible to try a wedge graft. There are videos and diagrams on the Internet that show the technique. Best of luck if you decide to give it a go.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)