Dervenakia, Peloponnese

• 1 Replies

Hilary

Dervenakia, Peloponnese
« on: November 23, 2021, 09:22:30 AM »
At the beginning of November, we went to see the statue of Kolokotronis, a hero of the Greek War of Independence, at Dervenakia, where a decisive battle against the Ottomans took place.

We had visited the site several times over the years but on this occasion found the statue in a paved area surrounded by a low wall in the midst of tall trees, none of which do we remember seeing the last time in 1983

The views towards Ancient Nemea and Corinth are over the fertile plain, the photos would have been better if the sun didn't keep hiding behind the clouds.
Looking toward Ancient Nemea you can see the new road which goes from Corinth to Kalamata and three cuttings where the road passes. To the right of the cuttings there is visible a smaller grey semi-circle which is the ancient quarry of Nemea, discovered when they were making the road, which caused some delay in the finishing of the road.

I walked around the pleasant parking / picnic area behind the statue looking for some autumn colours.
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Hilary

Re: Dervenakia, Peloponnese
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2023, 07:13:56 AM »
Autumn colours at Hani Anesti, Dervenakia pass

Apparently, this area, in the middle of the pass, is also called Hani tou Anesti and the pass Tretos pass.

The taverna serves the basic taverna meal, meat cooked on the grill, potato chips, village salad and most importantly Tzatziki.

MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care