Dodonaea viscosa, one of the hopbushes

• 7 Replies

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Dodonaea viscosa, one of the hopbushes
« on: September 08, 2011, 12:20:33 PM »
The first photo shows the foliage primarily, but in the background you can see the light brown, winged seed pods.

The second photo shows the whole bush, about 2m tall. It typically looks a rather luminous light green in the sunlight, and in that respect it is somewhat like some acacias. ...But much less of a thug, I think. It seems able to grow in similarly poor and dry locations without watering.

I have grown it from seed quite easily, and will try some cuttings.
The flowers are not very showy. For me it is a foliage plant, and one that I will try in my slope-stabilization experiments.

Anybody have any experiences of growing it?
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

John J

Re: Dodonaea viscosa, one of the hopbushes
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 01:31:40 PM »
I haven't grown it myself but one of its main uses seems to be as a hedging plant, certainly in this area of the island.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

ezeiza

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 01:20:04 AM »
I have seen it growing on hill slopes in Uruguay (native there) in frost free in winter and very hot in the warm season locations.

Very good for drained hot windy spots. It is also frost resistant to -12 C (maybe lower).

Here in Argentina the green form is virtually unknown. The form widely used is 'Purpurea', a fantastically striking plant, with glorious effect when seen against the sun.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 08:30:06 AM »
Thanks.
That purple form does look good, ezeiza.
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 12:48:21 PM »
The purple form changes colour through the year, starting the spring with dark red leaves and ending the summer almost green - see photo. This is the only bush I have left; two others objected to the limited summer watering I gave them and another died as a result of frost damage - I find them less hardy than I'd hoped considering that they are sold in England.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

ezeiza

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 05:18:03 PM »
Not the same form we grow here in South America that retains the same color year round. I said above, we do not know the green form.

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 06:48:59 PM »
I grew the purple variety because I thought the colour dramatic.  Not many purpled leaved plants.  However it turned out to be disappointing and it eventually died probably due to frosts or cold weather. I did not bother to replace it.  Growth is a bit wispy , as I recall, maybe this is the reason it is grown as a hedge where clipping will lead to denser growth. David

MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

John

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 01:15:21 PM »
I thought I had already posted this! The purple form of Dodonaea viscosa grows very happily on the Cotintin (Cherbourg) peninsular in northern France. These two pictures were taken there this year after a hard winter in different gardens. I have also seen it in the UK. I had thought that it was just from Australia but it has quite a world distribution.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.