• 8 Replies

Hilary

Unsung Heroes, Journal 5, Summer 1996
« on: October 09, 2021, 07:59:27 AM »
(M)EDITORIAL Caroline Harbouri
THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN number 5 Summer 1996

This issue of the journal is available as a free download
https://www.mediterraneangardensociety.org/journal5.pdf

In this article the editor writes about the history of gardens so I am going to look through my photos to see what I can come up with

Stonehenge, Knossos, Alhambra, Topkapi,
Seville ( The Mercury Pool), Hyde Hall,
Alnwick Garden ( The Cherry Orchard),
The Eden Project
And of course, Ancient Corinth

The photos don’t all show gardens you have to use your imagination
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Charithea

Re: Unsung Heroes, Journal 5, Summer 1996
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2021, 12:39:36 PM »
Very interesting photos which bring back memories.  I would love to revisit The Eden Project but this time spend a few days going round it to appreciate it.  The journal is also interesting.    After going over the names of the articles I remember some of them. Luckily we have then all in the book case so I can re read some of them.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Hilary

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2021, 06:09:44 AM »
CASTAWAY’S CHOICE by Hugo Latymer

THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN number 5 Summer 1996
This issue of the journal is available as a free download

A list of ten plants which the author suggests that he would choose if castaway on a Mediterranean island 

Koelreuteria bipinnatum, Red-fruited Golden Shower Tree being one of them.

I have two photos of a Koelreuteria paniculata tree in Sparta in the spring but have omitted to take a photo of the fruit in the autumn
MGS member

Charithea

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2021, 04:34:06 PM »
Hilary, we have one of the above trees.  It is still very young.  It was given to us by Fleur Pavlides a  few years ago.  It loses all its leaves in the winter.  It is taking its time to grow. It is special as it is an offspring from her beautiful tree.  I know I admitted not  to be fond of yellow But there are exceptions.

Hilary

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2021, 07:58:44 AM »
A DATABASE OF PLANT NURSERIES FOR MEMBERS OF
 THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN SOCIETY 
By Duncan Ackery & Hamish Warren

This article appeared in THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN issue number 5 Summer 1996 which is now available as a free download

I don’t know if this database was ever created but I do know that
THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN SOCIETY runs a seed exchange. You can find information here
https://www.mediterraneangardensociety.org/seedlist.html

I have been availing myself of this service for the last few years an there  have been some wonderful surprises in the spring when some of the seeds which had germinated produced lovely flowers
Here is a photo of this year's loot and some photos of successes from other years
MGS member

Charithea

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2021, 12:12:22 PM »
Beautiful flowers all of them.  The seed exchange service is amazing. Chantal does such great work. I am once more waiting for some seeds to arrive.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2021, 10:50:52 PM »
I am just about to send off some seeds and order a few too. Just wanted to second the thanks to Chantal. I hope she reads these entries but I fear not.

I was hoping some plants would have produced seeds now so that I could include them in my offering to the seed bank. One plant that is in the process of producing seeds is Caryopteris incana. A second is a new plant to me and one which I grew from seed. Centranterum intermedium (photos below). I am trying to think what I can combine it with as it is so unlike typical mediterranean plants, especially the foliage. I have just received a cutting of a white form of Justicea carnea. Maybe close together but with the Justicea in the shade?
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Charithea

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2021, 07:25:10 PM »
You are correct David. TheJusticea cornea likes the sun. Our daughter has a large one. It has survived many dry summers. Regarding posting seeds there is a tale to be told. I have send seeds to Rome on the 2nd of August. A few days later they made there way back to Cyprus and I have been trying to retrieve them since then. I have made telephone calls, sent requests for their return on the computer, took my receipt to the post office  but there are not here yet. I am also expecting seeds from London that were posted two weeks ago by my friend and some from France.  I find this rather frustrating. There is a limited variety of  ready plants brought here and I think we have them already in our garden.  They have a better rate of survival if planted or seeds put down in the autumn.

Hilary

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2021, 06:23:27 AM »
Acacia podalyrrifolia
This Acacia is mentioned in several issues of THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN

In the letters section of THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN number 5, Summer 1996 there is a letter written and illustrated with a drawing of this Acacia by Rosemary Bentley.

Here is a scan of the illustration

The letter can be read in full in THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN issue number 5 Summer 1996 which is now available as a free download

MGS member