A plant that has arrived in my garden

• 2 Replies

David Dickinson

• Email
A plant that has arrived in my garden
« on: May 22, 2021, 11:29:49 PM »
A couple of years ago I bought a plant of Salvia nana. It disappeared below ground when the winter came but never came back up. Then I noticed some  buds poking through the soil in a pot I had forgotten about. Was it to be the long-lost salvia? At first I was hopeful but as the plant developed I was less so, I imagine now that it is in flower that it  is Scrophularia nodosa?

I did a search on the forum and, surprise, the name does crop up - as a suggestion for "What is this No 42". But that thread ends in mid-air, with no  solution (or so it seems). Does anybody recognise this plant?
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Seeds sold as Salvia jurisicii - any idea what it might really be?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2021, 08:29:10 AM »
The plant is now in its 3rd summer after having been sown. It has a basal rosette of leaves in winter, thick woody roots and has added one rosette for each year. Rosettes have now disappeared and there were 3 spindly stems as seen in the photo. "Were" rather than "are" as I cut one off to photograph it. Not the most exciting of plants but I am curious to know what it is. It self-seeds.

Looks like a job for a wild flower expert :-)
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Seeds sold as Salvia jurisicii - any idea what it might really be?
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2021, 03:22:18 PM »
The plant is now in its 3rd summer after having been sown. It has a basal rosette of leaves in winter, thick woody roots and has added one rosette for each year. Rosettes have now disappeared and there were 3 spindly stems as seen in the photo. "Were" rather than "are" as I cut one off to photograph it. Not the most exciting of plants but I am curious to know what it is. It self-seeds.

Looks like a job for a wild flower expert :-)

I now think this could be Salvia stenophylla.  https://les-aromes-du-gres.com/plantes/sauges/salvia-stenophylla