Crepis rubra

• 2 Replies

David Dickinson

• Email
Crepis rubra
« on: May 02, 2021, 02:46:04 AM »
My first flower on Crepis rubra opened up recently. I thought the pink flower would look good against the purple foliage of Verbena officinalis 'Bampton' but I will need to see more flowers to get the effect I wanted.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Charithea

Re: Crepis rubra
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2021, 05:31:34 PM »
Your Crepis rubra has such a delicate colour.  In our white light it's beauty would be lost.  You are right,  it would look great with a 'blue, or purple' coloured flower.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Crepis rubra
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2021, 07:21:54 PM »
I have tried several times with the perennial Crepis incana which, as I read it is a Greek native, I thought would survive the heat here in Rome. It never has. I think it is a highland plant? So now I grow this annual, Crepis rubra, and, although it is not the same in size and shape, it still has nice flowers.  Very easy from seed and finished long before the full heat of summer arrives.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.