Military orchid ??

• 3 Replies

gertrude

Military orchid ??
« on: April 25, 2021, 01:26:31 PM »
I think this may be a miltary orchid, can someone confirm
Pete and Jan retired to le Marche, Italy 20 years ago for a quiet,  sunny life.  Gardening here was a challenge, but we now have a wonderful garden, with an eclectric selection of plants,  including many wild  flowers and orchids of which we are found of.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
Re: Military orchid ??
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2021, 07:07:50 PM »
Look at Dactylorhiza. We have D romana on our mountain which is very variable in colour and markings,  but I’m not sure that this is that one.

MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

gertrude

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2021, 12:59:45 PM »
Thanks Fleur for your suggestion, but no,  Alistair came up with the answer Green winged orchid,  Orchis  morio. 
Just shows what happens when the land is allowed to go back to nature, alll sorts of things turn up..
Pete and Jan retired to le Marche, Italy 20 years ago for a quiet,  sunny life.  Gardening here was a challenge, but we now have a wonderful garden, with an eclectric selection of plants,  including many wild  flowers and orchids of which we are found of.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2021, 08:26:06 AM »
Certainly do - the land around our first house here in Italy had been farmed before I started to create my garden and so there was little of great interest in the early years but I made many areas semi-wild and gradually things began to appear including a good stand of Orchis purpurea - Lady Orchid. It was thrilling to see the numbers increase each year.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.