Sophiko pine forest and Korfos, Carinthia

• 1 Replies

Hilary

Sophiko pine forest and Korfos, Carinthia
« on: April 15, 2021, 05:37:29 PM »
Last Sunday dawned bright and sunny so we set off for a drive along the old road to Sophiko where I remembered a field full of blue flowers. We found the field but it was sown with corn so the blue flowers were probably seen in the winter and were probably crocuses. I should make a note on the calendar for next winter.

Later   we stopped at a pine forest where I hoped to take photos of spring wild flowers. There aren’t all that many places at these pine forests where you can park the car and get into the forest on a path. There was a well-made signpost to encourage us however, unfortunately, the path seemed to lead to a small rubbish dump, rubbish everywhere and not many wild flowers around. I got photos of a solitary grape hyacinth, a purple pea like flower, a white flower and, to save the day, a lovely plant with mauve flowers

No Latin names today
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Hilary

Re: Sophiko pine forest and Korfos, Carinthia
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2021, 06:08:10 AM »
On Sunday our destination was Korfos, a fishing village on the Saronic gulf. We have been there several times over the years but not recently. Once it was a quiet, one taverna, village while now there are tavernas and coffee shops lining the seaside and apart from the fishing boats there were several yachts over wintering. Because of the situation nothing was open and there were only a few other people like ourselves walking around and enjoying the sun

The tavernas and coffee shops were obviously preparing for busier times with many freshly painted plant pots filled with flowering plants, newly planted pots and even a newly created and planted wall side patch.
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care