David Dickinson

• Email
What is all the fuss about?
« on: February 20, 2021, 09:02:01 PM »
When I saw the photo in the article below, I thought "two a penny"

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-56139243

Then I read a bit more.

https://hscactus.org/resources/plants-of-the-month/selenicereus-wittii/
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Hilary

Re: What is all the fuss about?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2021, 08:17:51 AM »
fascinating
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Charithea

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 07:03:54 AM »
Thank David. I agree with Hilary. It is fascinating. I am happy though with our Epiphylums since they have adapted to our hot and also dry conditions.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 10:11:12 AM »
I too am happy that the majority adapt to dry conditions and the flowers I get are every bit as nice. But I do like the way the leaves cling to the trunks in this plant.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Charithea

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2021, 07:36:03 PM »
David, you are correct to admire the cactus.  It is unusual and attractive at the same time.  The cactus has developed ways to survive and flourish.   I was not a ' fan' of cactus or succulents until I met some enthusiastic ladies who have wonderful specimens of the said plants.  Having gardening friends there are many opportunities to learn  and be persuaded to see the merits of certain plants and that is how I got my colourful Epiphyllum and Cereus cactus .  This lady still introduces me to new succulents and we exchange cuttings. By coincidence she was my nephew's classmate.  I posted a photo of a Selenicereus growing up a tree at the end of our road.  We also had one growing up a palm tree until the beetle arrived. We replant parts of under our Araucaria heterophylla but is growing rather slow.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 07:39:47 PM by Charithea »
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.