Success with Delonix regia, Flamboyant?

• 27 Replies

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Success with Delonix regia, Flamboyant?
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2021, 07:26:04 AM »
Good luck. Let's hope that in a few years' time you will be posting photos of trees covered in flame-red flowers. :)
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2021, 07:57:56 AM »
Have been following this thread with interest - your trees certainly have grown  well and look very healthy. This winter will be the testing time so fingers firmly crosssed that they make it through.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Charithea

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2021, 06:13:35 PM »
I wish you luck with the Delonix regia. They are amazing trees but when in flower they are magical.They are planted here in Cyprus on the pavements in the main roads. They absorb all the exhaust fumes and still flourish. We have not had success with them.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Jaken

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2021, 09:27:15 PM »
I wish you luck with the Delonix regia. They are amazing trees but when in flower they are magical.They are planted here in Cyprus on the pavements in the main roads. They absorb all the exhaust fumes and still flourish. We have not had success with them.

So you have tried them yourself, what was in your experience the reason that you didn't succeed?
Summerhouse with garden in Croatia, Dubrovnik.
Permanent home in Sweden 3000 km from summerhouse...

Charithea

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2021, 10:45:43 AM »
Hello Jaken. Yes, I have tried many times from seeds and bought plants. I don't know the 'scientific' reason why they die but I believe it is that every now and then we have cold winters -1degree centigrade and a very cold North wind cuts through our garden. In our immediate neighbourhood there aren't any Delonix Regia growing but there is one about 500 meter from here. It is not as large as some of the ones in town although it is quite old.. The tree is shielded by the cold wind by the adjacent houses. On the plus side we do have a Spathodia campanulata and a Tipuana tipu.

Jaken

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2021, 06:14:47 PM »
Kept one last plant back here in  cold Sweden on the balcony. Now I have moved it indoors and will keep it as a backup until next spring if the three that are in the ground don't make it through this winter. Let's see how it handles indoor climate. Looks quite nice  :)

Jaken

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2022, 01:21:00 PM »
Just wanted to share the growth of this tree when it's indoors. It grows 30 cm in a month even indoors under a led light. I planted the seeds in oktober 2020, so in a year it has reached 170 cm.

Regarding the plants that are outdoors,  the coldest temp so far is 4,6 this winter. So fingers crossed that the temp in January stays above 0 this first winter.

Charithea

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2022, 01:45:57 PM »
Many congratulations on getting your tree to reach this height. We all hope that your others will survive the winter outside. It is wonderful to succeed against all the obstacles. We have acquired a Wigandia caracasana towards the end of October. I am happy to report that it is thriving and it has started to form a clump of flowers. Apparently they take time to open up. I waited a few years to get it so I will wait patiently for the flowers to open.

Jaken

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2022, 11:38:33 AM »
Ok, so here is an update on this experiment. The Delonix did survive the winter, it did die back a bit but resprouted.

Unfortunately I had a building project in the garden  this spring, a new stone wall was built. The workers emptied 2 tons of stone on the poor little tree and I consequently died 😢

But the experiment continues, I have planted two new trees in the garden. Fingers crossed that these two survives  the winter 2022/2023.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2022, 11:51:29 AM by Jaken »

Hilary

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2022, 08:42:06 AM »
I hope all goes well with your two new trees
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Jaken

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2023, 10:15:21 AM »
Update on my attempt to grow these beautiful trees.
Unfortunately my last attempt didn't survive winter. I might just have to accept that these trees can't handle the climate here in Dubrovnik.

I have one last speciment at home on the balcony that is getting a fatter trunk, maybe that's a future key to success. I have one last spot on my property that might have a better micro climate.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2023, 01:03:04 PM »
Have you tried covering them with fleece during the colder months? At least until they get established. My sister grows cassia plants in a pot in Leeds UK. The same plant has survived winters outdoors over several years, including "the beast from the east" wrapped in fleece. Might work for you?
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Jaken

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2023, 09:42:36 PM »
Have you tried covering them with fleece during the colder months? At least until they get established. My sister grows cassia plants in a pot in Leeds UK. The same plant has survived winters outdoors over several years, including "the beast from the east" wrapped in fleece. Might work for you?

No I haven't tried covering or protecting them at all. Unfortunately I'm only in the house during summer and when I leave in the fall its still to hot to wrap them up in some kind of protection.

I think I'll plant my last specimen in the spring and one final time hope for the best.

I'll keep you posted