Success with Delonix regia, Flamboyant?

• 27 Replies

Jaken

Success with Delonix regia, Flamboyant?
« on: November 18, 2020, 09:57:28 PM »
I have started some Delonix regia, Flame tree, Flamboyant from seeds. Hoping to plant them next year in my summerhouse in Croatia, Dubrovnik.
I know that this is a gamble since it does not withstand sub zero temperature according to literature. Its only sub zero temperature every five years. Hoping that the tree will grow a massive trunk before first cold winter.

Does anyone have experience in this fast growing tree in a Mediterranean climate. Do you think it will survive south Croatia?
Summerhouse with garden in Croatia, Dubrovnik.
Permanent home in Sweden 3000 km from summerhouse...

Jaken

Re: Success with Delonix regia, Flamboyant?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2020, 03:21:34 PM »
I assume that the lack of response means that no one has tried these trees and that you think they are doomed  :D

John J

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2020, 05:00:28 PM »
Delonix regia do grow here in Cyprus at low altitudes, sometimes as street trees. They survive summer temperatures that often reach 40 degrees C for long periods, however we do not get excessive cold or frosts at that altitude which I don't think they would tolerate. I don't know what your temperatures are where you are as I have, unfortunately, never had the opportunity to visit, so I cannot comment on the chances for your trees. Sorry.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Jaken

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2020, 09:47:22 PM »
Thank you. Cyprus is more south then where my summerhouse is.

Dubrovnik is in the same latitude at Rome, Barcelona.

I'm only there during the summer so I don't know exactly what the wintertemp is when it's the lowest.

Googling history says that the average temp is not below zero although I've understood that sub zero temp do happen every other year.

No first hand experience?

Jaken

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2020, 10:13:21 PM »
Here they are, 3 weeks old seedlings.
Hoping that they will reach 5 feet before next winter.

John J

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2020, 07:30:47 AM »
I have no personal experience of attempting to grow this tree, but those temperatures on the chart do not look promising. Most literature states that it needs tropical or near-tropical conditions, although it will withstand drought. Also it seems to prefer light, sandy soils with plenty of organic material, while struggling in heavy clay soils.
Having said that the old saying is, Nothing ventured nothing gained, so good luck and I hope you succeed.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2020, 10:00:58 AM »
Hi Jaken

I am in Rome and the annual temperature chart you show looks very similar to temperatures here. Summer days can be 40°C and I have known 42°C but the norm is 35/36°C. We have nights in January and February where we drop below 0°C for a few hours. Usually 2 or 3 nights per month.

I have never seen Delonix here. Nor have I seen it in Naples,  where I used to live, which has slightly cooler summers and warmer winters than we do in Rome. Perhaps you could get somebody to fleece the young trees when cold nights are expected? Do you have gardening neighbours in Dubrovnik?

I agree with JohnJ, though, if in doubt try. I have tried with lots of plants from my sisters' gardens in the UK. 90% have been failures but one or two have survived. Good luck.  :)
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Jaken

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2020, 07:03:51 PM »
David, John tank you for feedback. Looking like it's a Big gamble to try these trees.

I do have a garden friend that looks after the house when I'm not there. I'll try to protect them at least the first winter.

If I succeed I'll share all my finding with you.

Jaken

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2021, 10:28:19 PM »
They are getting bigger by the day. Just hoping they won't get to big before spring since they have to fit my suitcase.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2021, 10:37:52 PM »
Lucky you, Jaken. The days of taking things backwards and forwards to our homeland in our suitcases may well be over for we Brits.  :( I shall try on my next flight to the UK as I have lots of cuttings to pass on but who knows what customs will say if they search my bag!
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Jaken

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2021, 12:46:48 PM »
Lucky you, Jaken. The days of taking things backwards and forwards to our homeland in our suitcases may well be over for we Brits.  :( I shall try on my next flight to the UK as I have lots of cuttings to pass on but who knows what customs will say if they search my bag!

No worries David, you can send your cuttings to me instead  ;D

Jaken

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2021, 07:24:11 PM »
They are getting bigger. This is from May. In July they are going into the ground.  8)

Jaken

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2021, 12:17:30 PM »
Finally my flamboyant trees are in the ground. Had to fold them to fit them into the suitcase, and they didn't like that treatment at all. Lost a lot of leafs.
7 months old trees and now about one meters tall.
Brought three specimens and planted them in three different locations in the garden. One in full sun, one next to a wall facing south and the third in a sheltered location that only receives sun in the afternoon.

Now let's hope they can handle the relocation from Sweden to Dubrovnik, Croatia.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2021, 01:07:56 PM »
Fingers crossed for you. Keep us posted :-)

Jaken

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2021, 10:39:31 PM »
They are still looking good. Now let's just hope for a warm winter.