Sparoza

• 5 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
Sparoza
« on: November 12, 2020, 08:28:54 AM »
Not a huge fan of social media but was encouraged to use Instagram by a gardening contact who explained one could participate in a very selective way. It has proved interesting and I have 'met' some interesting people from the world of horticulture, both professionals and enthusiastic amateurs like myself. I was delighted to see yesterday that Lucie Willan, currently working at Sparoza, is posting under ' sparozagarden'
Her first posts include a brief history of the garden and the role of the MGS . Hopefully her posts will attract a wide following and bring the MGS to the attention of more people.
I for one shall enjoy seeing photographs of this wonderful place and reading about the current work.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Umbrian

• Email
Re: Sparoza
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2021, 08:45:01 AM »
Had the warning that this topic had not been posted in for 120 days...    hope that at least a few members who use Instagram have been following Lucie Willen's interesting posts about Sparoza and appreciating the wonderful job she is doing there after the sad loss of Sally. The latest features an article by Monty Don in the 'Gardener's World' magazine after a visit earlier in the year. I urge members who are interested in Sparoza to look it out.😊
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Hilary

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2021, 08:59:20 AM »
An interesting article about Sparoza.
As I pointed out on my FB page the Photo can be downloaded onto a computer then the article read using the zoom feature
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2021, 06:53:26 AM »
Hope you see this John - should work for you😊

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2021, 07:46:11 AM »
I read it. Easy to do, as Hilary describes. Interesting article.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

John J

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2021, 12:45:43 PM »
Thanks for the info. Actually I clicked on the photo on the Instagram feed on the MGS Home page and it came up large enough to be read. Very interesting as David says. Even though I have visited the garden more times than I can recall it's good to see how other people view it.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)