hemispherical nut, Cyprus - ID'd by John Joynes as Juglans nigra

• 3 Replies

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
hemispherical nut, Cyprus - ID'd by John Joynes as Juglans nigra
« on: November 04, 2020, 11:24:16 AM »
This half-nut was collected by a friend of mine, John Dobbie, from the car park at the forest station at Stavros Tis Psokas in the Troodos, Cyprus. He said there were many such nuts on the ground, but he did not know how many trees.

It clearly has a structure somewhat like a walnut or pecan, but is different:
- smaller - 24x26x28mm across
- near spherical
And it appears typical of its taxon, as there were many the same shape and size.

Give me a clue! please!

//Mike
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 07:46:48 AM by MikeHardman »
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

John J

Re: hemispherical nut, Cyprus
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2020, 05:07:17 PM »
Mike, I don't recall ever seeing one in Cyprus but possibly a Black Walnut, Juglans nigra?
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Re: hemispherical nut, Cyprus - ID'd by John Joynes as Juglans nigra
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2020, 08:12:27 PM »
John - thank you - yes! - Juglans nigra - I have never seen the fruit before - thank you very much - Mike
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 08:17:50 PM by MikeHardman »
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Re: hemispherical nut, Cyprus - ID'd by John Joynes as Juglans nigra
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2020, 07:47:32 AM »
I found out the location (Stavros), I updated my original post.
Mike