Subtropical plant supplier for Greece?

• 2 Replies

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Subtropical plant supplier for Greece?
« on: September 22, 2020, 09:15:51 AM »
Thierry Verhaeghe writes:
"I would like to try sub tropical plants such as Brugmansia candida, Calliandra portoricensis, Pavonia hastata, Clerodendron myricoides,  Clerodendron fragrans, Murraya paniculata, Senna artemisoides on the island of Skopelos. I am looking for a nursery which could supply these plants in Greece."
Any ideas, anyone?
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Subtropical plant supplier for Greece?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 01:16:14 PM »
Hi

I have tried repeatedly with Pavonia hastata in Rome but with no real success. The plants survive a year at most, the first flowers never open but produce seed (cleistogamy). The autumn flowers open but are few and far between because the plant is from a same-year seedling. So not really worth it for me, even treating it as an annual.

This year I will have lots of seed of Pavonia spinifex, if that is of interest. The plant does not have spines, it is the seed which is spiny. My plant has been with me for 5 years now. I believe I have Pavonia missionum seeds from last year that I can offer. I started new plants this year because a bush I had had for 5 or 6 years died. If the new seedlings produce seed I could offer those.

MGS seed bank offers seeds of all 3 and a fourth, Pavonia praemorsa. I find that Pavonia seed germinates easily in spring and the plants grow fairly quickly.

I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

John J

Re: Subtropical plant supplier for Greece?
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2020, 02:29:38 PM »
Here in Cyprus we grow Senna artemesioides, Murraya paniculata and Rotheca myricoides syn Clerodendrum myricoides. We also have a variety of other Brugmansia, Calliandra, Pavonia and Clerodendrum.
Perhaps Ioannis Gryllis in Marathon might be worth contacting about acquiring the plants on the list.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)