Jackaranda

• 13 Replies

gertrude

Jackaranda
« on: August 07, 2020, 08:26:27 AM »
We have 3 Jacarandas, growing inpots,  approx 5 years old, kept as bonsai trees, for  ease of winter protection.
This year they have been loosing a few leaves here and there, not I add because of lack of water, we water frequently, and  there are no  signs of any pests, any ideas.
Pete and Jan retired to le Marche, Italy 20 years ago for a quiet,  sunny life.  Gardening here was a challenge, but we now have a wonderful garden, with an eclectric selection of plants,  including many wild  flowers and orchids of which we are found of.

John J

Re: Jackaranda
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2020, 02:44:27 PM »
Hi, I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions as to why your trees are acting the way they are. To be honest I would never have thought of Jacaranda as being a suitable subject for bonsai. We have 4 mature trees, 3 of which I grew from seed, and they are fairly unpredictable with regard to their growth, being somewhat lax in habit, as well as their wood being extremely brittle and prone to breaking more easily than most trees. They also tend to hold their leaves well into the winter, losing them in early spring as the new growth emerges along with the flowers.
Sorry I can't come up with a solution but good luck with them and I hope the situation resolves itself in a positive way.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Jaken

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2020, 07:14:33 PM »
I Don't have any suggestions. This is one of my Jacaranda that I've grown from seeds. 1,5 years old in the pic and about 1,5 metres high.

The ones I have in a pot and the ones I've planted both drop their leaves when it gets colder.
Summerhouse with garden in Croatia, Dubrovnik.
Permanent home in Sweden 3000 km from summerhouse...

John J

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 07:05:42 AM »
This is one of our jacaranda trees shown this morning in the rain, with thunder and lightning rumbling and flashing around. Our trees tend to hold their leaves until the spring, losing them just in time for the flowers to begin opening and the new leaves to appear.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Jaken

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2021, 10:20:03 PM »
This is how my two Jacarandas looked last week. Hope they make it through this winter as well, it was a breef snowing some days ago, +1 degrees.

About two year old grown from seeds.
Fingers crossed.

Jaken

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2021, 10:43:20 PM »
My jacarandas are now approx three years old and I hope they make it through this third winter.

Getting nice and fat. About 3 meters high.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2021, 07:15:56 AM »
Always nice to hear success stories. Jacarandas are being used more frequently now by the local council in Rome and they are surviving. Even through the notorious "Beast from the East" 3 or 4 years ago, when we had a week of temperatures below zero  and as low as -7°C some nights. There was heavy snow at the beginning, which froze and stayed with us for the week.

Well done :-)
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Jaken

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2022, 11:49:58 AM »
Update on my Jacarandas. Four years since I planted the seeds. Increasing in thickness of the trunk and I'm guessing their about 4 meters tall.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2022, 09:23:49 PM by Jaken »

Hilary

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2022, 08:43:40 AM »
Congratulations on the Jacaranda
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

gertrude

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2023, 01:33:31 PM »
Another update- June 2023

At long last signs of flowers on our Jacarada's.  Pictures when in full flower

Jan
Pete and Jan retired to le Marche, Italy 20 years ago for a quiet,  sunny life.  Gardening here was a challenge, but we now have a wonderful garden, with an eclectric selection of plants,  including many wild  flowers and orchids of which we are found of.

gertrude

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2023, 04:08:34 PM »
Photos as prAttachments omised of our Jacaranda,  first time they have flowered 

Jaken

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2023, 10:07:46 AM »
Update on my Jacarandas, this year they flowered. Compared to my earlier posts the have grown substantial and are now massive trees.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2023, 12:57:28 PM »
Sorry for the tardiness of this reply. I haven't visited the forum for several months. Great to hear of your success. For a long time I didn't see this tree in Rome but over the last decade they have sprung up all over. It seems the local opuncia have planted them in several squares too, Well done :-)
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2023, 12:59:04 PM »
Last post should have read "local council".