Russelia equisetiformis

• 5 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
Russelia equisetiformis
« on: July 03, 2020, 08:46:45 AM »
When a friend gave me a large Russelia in a pot and said it was a cream flowering one I felt a little disappointed as I love the fiery red one and couldn't imagine a cream flowered one having the same impact. This year however it is really quite beautiful. Still prefer the red though😊
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Hilary

Re: Russelia equisetiformis
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 09:44:47 AM »
In THE  MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN number 90, October 2017 there is an article devoted to
Russelia equisetiformis by Susanne Wogart

I have been trying to find this plant so that I could take its photo but most of the ones around here are all drooping off high balconies

MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2020, 06:02:44 AM »
Must look that out Hilary - thanks for the reference. I first saw it in Sicily and fell in love immediately. Needs a bit of protection with me during the winter but left the red one in the photo in situ last year and it came through well since the winter was quite mild. It is  easy from  cuttings and so I had some reserves.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Hilary

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2020, 09:29:03 AM »
My old neighbour told me it had to be watered in the sun. I don't know if that is true or an old wives tale
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2020, 01:34:26 PM »
Mine, a new plant last year, survived the mild winter with no problems.  As Umbrian says, easy to propagate. I didn't even have to try. Two "branches" (inverted commas as they were very thin and not really branches at all) rooted spontaneously where they touched the ground.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Charithea

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2020, 04:08:16 PM »
This forum is so informative. Thank you for the Russelia equisetiformis Carole and the advice how to propagate it David. It is a lively colour and it endours its brightness under the merciless rays of the sun. The Limassol Municipality has planted them by the Highways and their red colour stands out next to the Leucophylum langmaniae and Rosemary. I also like the cream colour. Perhaps somebody has one and I can ask for a 'cutting'.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.