A cautionary tale

• 1 Replies

John J

A cautionary tale
« on: June 29, 2020, 08:19:52 AM »
Having just carried out what has become, over the last several years, a regular chore, that is cutting back a specimen of Leucaena leucocephala. As I say we planted this a long time ago thinking it was a fast growing, reasonably attractive tree with its pom-pom flowers. Little did we realise what a mistake that was. It became an absolute nightmare of a plant, seeding itself around profusely and growing out of all control. I have since discovered that it is listed as one of the 100 worst invasive species by the IUCN. Fortunately the tree is planted outside our boundary wall and we have been able to prevent it from seeding by cutting it back before it flowers and sets seed. However the trunk has proved impossible to dig out without demolishing part of the wall, so I have to cut it back to ground level at intervals to keep it in check.
Be warned, avoid this tree at all costs.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: A cautionary tale
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 08:37:46 AM »
By coincidence you have partly answered a question I was asking myself a couple of days ago. "What do gardener's weeding baskets contain?". I have largely eliminated the nettles that were everywhere when I came 4 years ago. I keep a watchful eye for oxalis but 99% of those are gone too. Now all that is left to deal with are the 100s of bay leaf seedlings a week which are the bane of my life.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.