Anyone able to identify this please?

• 3 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
Anyone able to identify this please?
« on: June 10, 2020, 08:10:11 AM »
This is another leaf only identification.  When sorting my pots after winter protection under cover I came across a very small pot containing a short woody stem about 4cm high. Having no idea what it might be I placed it outside on top of one my permanent planters so it  did not get overlooked. It has now produced these leaves on two new stems and I am interested to know what it might be......
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Fermi

• Email
Re: Anyone able to identify this please?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2020, 08:52:19 AM »
They could be the juvenile leaves of a fig; the lobes usually develop as the plant gets more mature
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

Charithea

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2020, 11:47:59 AM »
Yes,  they could be of a fig tree as they grow easily but if the leaves are smooth they could be a mulberry tree or a type of hibiscus.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2020, 08:29:35 AM »
Oh dear that is a bit disappointing- thought I might have something a bit more special !
Actually I have my doubts that it is a fig........why should someone have given me it in such a tiny pot? and I so obviously taken care of it (even if I lost the label!)
Thanks anyway for the suggestions and I shall continue to cherish it in high hopes......watch this space....
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.