Is this Wisteria?

• 2 Replies

Hilary

Is this Wisteria?
« on: May 05, 2020, 07:50:18 AM »
 I have named this plant as Wisteria but I am not at all sure

Wisteria sinensis, Chinese wisteria

An unexpected pleasure, this climber hanging over the wall of the summer cinema. We usually walk along the seaside but one day, as it was too windy, we walked along the parallel road and were rewarded with this sight
Usually there is a lantana plant then a bougainvillea plant hanging too low for you to be able to walk along the pavement but last year they were drastically cut back. Although the summer cinema is just round the corner from our home it is a stretch of pavement  I hardly ever walk along so I was thrilled to see this ‘new plant’.

Yesterday, a couple of weeks later, I cut off a branch with leaves and was surprised at how leafy and green the plant was, lots of bees buzzing but hardly any flowers

Is it Wisteria?

Wisteria is mentioned in many issues of THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN and, after much deliberation, I chose  for you to read FINCA EL OTERO by Freda Cox
Issue number 88 April 2017
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

John J

Re: Is this Wisteria?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 10:11:51 AM »
Hilary, one of the ways to tell the difference between Wisteria sinensis (Chinese wisteria) and W. floribunda (Japanese wisteria) is to look at how the stems twine around their support. The Chinese one twines around in an anti-clockwise direction while the other goes clockwise.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Hilary

Re: Is this Wisteria?
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2020, 11:28:39 AM »
Interesting. I will have to wait till the summer when and if the cinema opens to see which way the stems are twisting
Thanks 
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care