Doronicum

• 4 Replies

David Dickinson

• Email
Doronicum
« on: April 18, 2020, 12:35:13 AM »
Does anybody grow Doronicum? My sister found some already growing in the garden when she moved in. I am assuming this plant is a Doronicum though which species/hybrid, I have no idea. What interested me was that she said they were summer dormant (in Leeds UK) and came back in autumn. Potential for surviving a hot Mediterranean summer? I planted a couple up in January in dappled shade and both have survived. Let's see what next spring brings. But if anybody has any advice on how to grow this plant it would be good to hear from you.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Fermi

• Email
Re: Doronicum
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2020, 04:37:43 AM »
Hi David,
We did grow it for a few years here but it didn't persist in our garden.
I heard that it's common name is "Leopard's Bane" and we certainly have not been bothered by them since growing it  ;D (nor before, for that matter!)
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 08:21:51 AM »
David, When we were looking for lilies in northern Greece in the first week of July three years ago we did see Doronicum austriacum flowering, always in woods or other shady spots and always high up, in the mountains of Rhodope and Vournos - so I'd guess the cooler you can keep it the better.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 10:21:17 PM »
Thanks Fermi and Alistair. Shade I can do. Cool? Hhhmmm…. It's worth a try. nothing to lose and a lot to gain. :-)
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Hilary

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2020, 05:35:17 AM »
Doronicum orientale, Leopard's bane

I saw this plant on Easter Day which fell on the 9th of April, in 2009

We were exploring Laconia by car and arrived at Polydroso/ Tzitzinas at lunch time. Later we walked around the village and I dreamed of walking some of the marked paths   in the area. This plant was in the shade when we saw it.
Note that Polydroso is on Mount Parnon at about 1,100 meters

I have no idea how I identified it as it is not in either of my reference books so please correct me if I am wrong
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care