Bergenia
« on: April 08, 2020, 06:10:12 AM »
Bergenia ’Bressingham White’

A perennial snapped in the Royal Botanic Garden Madrid in April 2018

Bergenias are mentioned in THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN number 42, October 2005 in
A VENETIAN GARDEN by Ida Tonini
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Charithea

Re: Bergenia
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 11:55:23 AM »
Another plant that does not do well in our garden.  We tried moving them around  in shaded areas but they simply died. They prefer the cooler places up the mountains
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Hilary

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2020, 12:47:36 PM »
I don't ever see Bergenia here in Corinth but there are a lot in Sparta. It must be cooler there and most decidedly wetter
MGS member

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2020, 11:42:36 PM »
I have B. "Bressigham White" which is still struggling after 2 years in mostly shade. I have a second little cutting which was being sold off in the UK and it is just beginning to show sign of life. It is in a slightly sunnier spot.  A
B. "Harzkristal" is faring little better. This is its 3rd spring but still no sign of flowers.

What I presume is Bergenia cordifolia grows quite well in partial shade in a little gully which has no water in summer in a park in Rome. So it can stand the high temperatures of summer. Perhaps in the gully there is water nearer the surface than I realise? I brought a cutting home from Leeds at Christmas. It is alive but there is no sign of new growth yet.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Hilary

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2020, 06:40:31 AM »
Bergenia cordifolia

Seen in the Royal Botanic Garden Madrid in April 2018

The second photo of Bergenia cordifolia was taken in Sparta in January 2014.

They are very fond of this plant in Sparta which grows in troughs outside of several houses

Bergenia cordifolia is mentioned as a drought resistant plant in
THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN number 19, Winter 2000 in
PROBLEMS OF ACCLIMATISATION : DROUGHT by Piero  Caneti

MGS member

Charithea

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2020, 03:41:34 PM »
Bergenia cordifolia are also grown in troughs in the villages in the foothills of Troodos mountain. Omodos village is a good tourist attraction due to a lovely monastery and wine producing establishments so we went there with our visitors and as chance would have it we met a friend of our daughter 's who gave us some Bergenias. We did our best to grow them but they really needed water and shade. They just became pitiful and despite replanting them in a cooler place they died. Some plants are drought tolerant but it depends how long they have to wait for the rain.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.