Fritillaria uva-vulpis?

• 2 Replies

David Dickinson

• Email
Fritillaria uva-vulpis?
« on: March 30, 2020, 02:24:00 AM »
This plant has intrigued me over the last few years. I never could quite work out what was in the pot. Every spring these paddle-shaped leaves appeared. This year, finally, a flower. I have no idea where the plant came from but I will get it potted up better and see what happens next year. I don't recall ever having bought Fritillaria uva-vulpis bulbs but, unless anybody tells me otherwise, I think that is what it is.

Of course, she who wants to be my new friend, had to get in on the act!
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Umbrian

• Email
Re: Fritillaria uva-vulpis?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 07:27:20 AM »
Probably came from me David - the bulbs multiply rapidly and are very tenacious. I find them everywhere in the garden and in pots of plants I prepare for giving away etc.
However they are very attractive I think and not to be regarded as a problem :)
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Charithea

Re: Fritillaria uva-vulpis?
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 01:08:51 PM »
The flower looks good  and so does the cat. Very unusual  colour(the cat). She will keep you company.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.