bush with yellow flowers confirmed as Kerria japonica 'Pleniflora'

• 7 Replies

Hilary

Can this be Kerria japonica?
Most of the flower photos on the free internet encyclopaedia just say, as I do, 'bush with yellow flowers'.
We saw this in Paris in April near a children's playground, I think.
Many of the playgrounds seemed to be half enclosed by a circular hedge of tall bushes with a circular 'row' of benches for the carers.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 09:22:27 AM by Alisdair »
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: bush with yellow flowers confirmed as Kerria japonica 'Pleniflora'
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 09:24:55 AM »
Quite right, Hilary. Kerria naturally has single flowers with just five petals, but this cultivar K. japonica 'Pleniflora' is much more common in cultivation - and more vigorous
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Hilary

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 05:38:33 AM »
Alisdair,
Many thanks for the confirmation.
Afterwards I found a photo, which a friend had sent me last year, of a Kerria japonica she has in her garden in Leeds
I have posted it here for comparison's sake
MGS member

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 03:43:02 PM »
I come from Leeds and my sisters still live there. I have bought several single flowered Kerrias and given some to them and brought some to Rome, Mine survive for about 2-3 months, theirs are flourishing! I have tried over 20 cuttings and brought back a healthy cream-coloured single-flowered variety this Christmas which is now on its last legs. My pleniflora variety has just died this spring after 12 years in the same pot and is to be found commonly throughout Rome. I took one cutting from a friend's garden 12 years ago and that one cutting took immediately. 

The pleniflora died when I moved another plant which was giving the pot (and roots) some shade. I have now put some broken pots around the top of the pot of the cream-coloured single-flowered one in the hope that it might settle down. Doubt it though  :'(

Photo 1 is the double variety which lived for 12 years. Photo 2 is the cream one which is gasping its last breaths after 4 months. Photo 3 is the single variety "golden guinea" which lasted 2 or 3 months.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Jill S

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 07:17:25 AM »
As well as shade could the plant that you moved also have provided shelter from wind? Single Kerria thrive in woodland conditions which often tend to have both types of shelter.
Member of RHS and MGS. Gardens in Surrey, UK and, whenever I get the chance, on Paros, Greece where the learning curve is not the only thing that's steep.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 02:00:53 AM »
I now have a small garden and areas of shade. Finally I can grow Japonica kerria (single flower). A beautiful yellow. This is from cuttings taken 4 years ago. I put it into the ground 2.5 years ago in the shade of a lemon tree and this year it has taken off.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Hilary

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 06:42:32 AM »
Congratulations. It looks pretty
MGS member

Charithea

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 01:06:20 PM »
They look rather beautiful David.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.