Evergreen trees for house screening

• 1 Replies

Pacha Mama

• Email
Evergreen trees for house screening
« on: September 17, 2020, 03:25:27 PM »
Can anyone recommend evergreen trees for screening a house. Quick growing at least 5 meters high. Thanks joan
Joan

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Evergreen trees for house screening
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 11:23:23 PM »
I have no experience of growing trees and no practical knowledge of how deep the roots grow, how far they should be away from a building etc.

But if I had a space big enough to plant a tree it would be a linden (lime) tree. An ordinary looking tree with a tidy symmetrical shape it seems nothing special. Then comes late spring and there is simply no perfume on Earth (the universe?) to match it. Subjective, I know, but ...

There is one at the end of my street that receives no water all summer. The leaves turn brownish in autumn but I can't remember it being totally bare in winter. You'd better check out whether it would be deciduous for you in your area.

Another which you will probably rule out because it is deciduous is Jacaranda mimosifolia. Spectacular, breath-taking colour. I used to come out of my house on the way to work in Cairo early, just to stand in awe before having to reluctantly leave it behind until the following day. In Rome it flowers in spring but apparently all summer in the south of Italy. And certainly in summer in Cairo.

Sorry if these two suggestions don't quit fit the bill but if all other factors are okay it might be worth a comprise on the tree being evergreen.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.