Flora of the Mediterranean

• 6 Replies

John J

Flora of the Mediterranean
« on: December 29, 2019, 10:15:49 AM »
The authors of the excellent book 'Flora of the Silk Road', Christopher & Basak Gardner, have published a new one on the flora of mediterranean climate areas, to include California, Australia, South Africa and Chile. I obtained my copy when I returned from the AGM in October and am still working my way through it. As ever the photographs are amazing and the text informative. Thoroughly recommended and well worth adding to anyone's book collection.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Fermi

• Email
Re: Flora of the Mediterranean
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2019, 05:43:54 AM »
I've ordered it from Florilegium Books in Glebe, NSW but not sure if it can be supplied as they are closing after 30 years  :'(
If they can't provide it I see that the AGS Bookstore has it listed in the supplement to the last journal but its not on the website  :-\
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

John J

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2019, 07:42:55 AM »
Fermi, I got my copy via a local bookstore here in Cyprus but I see it is advertised on Amazon.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2019, 12:08:51 PM »
For people who do have to rely on internet book shopping, a firm that is outstanding for the range of its natural history books is NHBS, which ships promptly and worldwide.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2020, 01:40:23 AM »
I second Alisdair's comments. Excellent selection and excellent service.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 12:25:12 PM »
My copy arrived today!
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

John J

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2020, 01:50:43 PM »
Enjoy, I'm still working my way through mine.  ;D