Coronavirus situation

• 877 Replies

Hilary

Re: Coronavirus situation
« Reply #615 on: November 03, 2021, 07:03:16 AM »
RED BERRIES IN AUTUMN

We stopped on our way back from Sparta in November 2012, somewhere on the Parnona mountain range, looking for autumn colour

We really must go out again and look for autumn colour
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Charithea

« Reply #616 on: November 03, 2021, 03:29:40 PM »
I like the idea of planting flowers in 'disused ' places. It takes away the feeling of  decrepitude.  The bright colour of Cosmos is eye catching.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #617 on: November 03, 2021, 10:49:32 PM »
Behind my house is a large area of disused farmland. I have decided to try to re-wild it a bit. Over the summer I have been collecting seeds of any wild plants I could find growing in and around the Rome area. I don't want to introduce anything that would not have grown here naturally before the use of weed killers and the like. But there is very little variety at the moment so I decided to give nature a helping hand. No building can take place because below the ground are very extensive catacombs.
The idea is to seed two areas. One in via Labico and the other around the Mausoleum of Saint Elena Tor Pignattara. If I can get 2 small areas at either end of the area established, they may just  spread out and eventually meet in the middle. Let's see how things are in 5-10 years time. You can get an idea just how barren the area is by looking at the satellite photos on Google maps

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Mausoleum+of+Saint+Elena+Tor+Pignattara/@41.8783254,12.54652,584m/data=!3m3!1e3!4b1!5s0x132f6214491f1af9:0xad0f75e818024198!4m5!3m4!1s0x132f6215b527cf39:0x48b39fea39fd5bec!8m2!3d41.8783214!4d12.5487087
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #618 on: November 04, 2021, 07:45:20 AM »
Wonderful idea David - keep us posted 😊
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Charithea

« Reply #619 on: November 04, 2021, 07:26:26 PM »
It is a great idea. Good luck. Do take pictures occasionally so you can see the changes and when you think it is not going well look back where you started from.

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #620 on: November 05, 2021, 01:55:34 AM »
What sort of species are you re-sowing, David?
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #621 on: November 05, 2021, 10:21:44 AM »
You're not supposed to ask questions I can't answer, Fermi :-[ I simply grabbed seeds from plants whenever I got the chance without knowing exactly what they were. I included grass seeds, various types of thistles, verbascums, some things that were vetch/pea like, clovers, toadflax, teasel, euphorbias, and "miscellaneous" is in the mix too. I planted out a Euporbia dendroides last spring and I need to check up and see if it as survived. We have had a lot of rain recently, so, if it has, there should be signs of life. Crepis rubra is not really a local plant but it is found further south in Italy, so I will try. It grows for me in the garden. Maybe there is a chance in sheltered spots in the park nearby.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #622 on: November 05, 2021, 10:28:22 AM »
I should also use an embarrassed emoticon for my spelling. Readers will be thinking I am spelling "has" without the "h" as (correct this time!) I am from Yorkshire, where aitches don't exist. Not so. It is simply that the "h" key is playing up on my keyboard and I often have to go back and try several times to fill in the missing aitches. Missed one in my last post  :-[

Hilary

« Reply #623 on: November 09, 2021, 08:07:09 AM »
A WHITE ROSE
 Seen somewhere in Corinth, November 2012
MGS member

Hilary

« Reply #624 on: November 10, 2021, 08:12:06 AM »
Lantana camara
One bush growing near the port and the other at the summer cinema,  in Novembers in Corinth in 2014 and 2015
MGS member

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #625 on: December 28, 2021, 04:24:09 AM »
Hope everybody had a good Christmas. I went into the garden this morning trying to find some colour. The most colourful things were leaves, after all the rain we have had. Ceratostigma plumbaginoides, Vitex trifolia purpurea and the fallen leaves of Kerria japonica.

I presume the Ceratostigma is plumbaginoides. The species name wasn't on the label. It is very low growing. I particularly like the vitex leaves which have purple undersides all year round.

Charithea

« Reply #626 on: December 29, 2021, 04:27:57 PM »
Hi Hilary.  We had a sunny Christmas  and hence the bar b.q.  Mostly the oldies getting together while the younger generation  did most of the hard work. I have started pulling out my old enemy,  the vinegar sticks,  to rescue my young plants.  We have flowers in the garden but I take bad photos. With some of them the sharpness is missing when I snap them.  The Salvias  that came from Marathon have grown a bit and some are flowering .  We have Salvia jamensis 'Violette de Loire',  S. 'Danielle's Dream, One that has amazing red flowers but I don't know its name and another with very fine pale blue flowers and dainty leaves.  The usual one such as [idiscolour, Mystic Spires Blue, 'Anthony Parker' Amistad, elegans and  desoliana, are also in flower. 
« Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 04:27:58 PM by Charithea »

Hilary

« Reply #627 on: December 30, 2021, 07:18:16 AM »
You inspired me to look through old post in the Coronavirus situation Thread
Well that cheered me up
It has been raining for the last few days and we are confined to the flat
Better, you may say, thinking of the OMICRON strain

I will snap a couple of flowers on the balcony later in the day

MGS member

Hilary

« Reply #628 on: December 30, 2021, 01:10:56 PM »
Two Cyclamen outside the front door
Survivors from last year
MGS member

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #629 on: December 31, 2021, 08:50:43 AM »
A Happy New Year to all those who use this Forum  and especially the faithful few who contribute ...... may 2022 see things settling down a little and may we continue to find encouragement in our gardens. 🥂💐
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.