Coronavirus situation

• 880 Replies

Hilary

Re: Coronavirus situation
« Reply #510 on: June 12, 2021, 06:25:20 AM »
Oh dear
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

John J

« Reply #511 on: June 12, 2021, 02:36:34 PM »
David, that's tragic and almost unimaginable to us here in Cyprus as we have not seen a hint of rain for almost 3 months already. Daytime temps up and into the 30s, although recently a stiff breeze has helped to allay that, especially in the shaded areas. Getting quite concerning as the winter was a dry one on the whole and the water level in the dams is already dropping.
Hope your plants can recover.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Charithea

« Reply #512 on: June 12, 2021, 04:19:09 PM »
Hilary, I will be posting my photos soon. There was a problem with my iPad the last three weeks and I could not transfer photos to be reduced for the Forum. Our grandson was unavailable  to help me due to his exams. My son- in -law just sorted it out. He brought our grand daughter to attend my sister's   83rd birthday party so I took  the chance to ask for help. As for the Oleanders they are underestimated. They add colour and aroma, especially the double ones and they take the drought. My sister has the creamy-yellow colour and they look fantastic. Our double pink at the end of the field smells lovely in the early morning.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Charithea

« Reply #513 on: June 12, 2021, 04:30:23 PM »
Hi David, I am sorry that your  plants have been devastated by the weather. Hopefully as the weather improves they will recover. Fingers crossed.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #514 on: June 13, 2021, 07:56:20 AM »
That's heart breaking David. We have been spared so far despite storm warnings and one half hour of torrential rain - no hail this year.....so far 🤞
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Hilary

« Reply #515 on: June 16, 2021, 06:49:00 AM »
A RED GLADIOLUS IN SPARTA

I took this photo in 2014, how time flies
The flower seems to have passed through the wire fence and is facing away from the garden
MGS member

Hilary

« Reply #516 on: June 21, 2021, 06:27:39 AM »
YELLOW FLOWERS IN JUNE IN SPARTA IN YEARS PAST
Verbascum sinuatum
Opuntia
MGS member

Hilary

« Reply #517 on: June 22, 2021, 07:14:15 AM »
PINK FLOWERS SEEN IN JUNES PAST

The yellow and pink rose was seen in Sparta

The pink roses grow in a friend’s garden in Corinth

Now I have no idea of where, in Corinth, I saw the Rhododendron.
According to my diary we didn’t go anywhere on the day the photo was taken 
MGS member

Hilary

« Reply #518 on: June 23, 2021, 07:10:31 AM »
Carpobrotus acinaciformis, Hottentot fig or is it
Carpobrotus edulis, Hottentot fig, Χοντρόφυλλο μπούζι

I was too generous last year with the photos of flowers in June and have now gone back in time to Crete, June 1966
MGS member

John J

« Reply #519 on: June 25, 2021, 09:20:26 AM »
A rather pleasing image created by sunlight shining through the flowers of an unnamed Ipomoea.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Hilary

« Reply #520 on: June 25, 2021, 09:47:39 AM »
Pretty
MGS member

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #521 on: June 26, 2021, 09:33:19 PM »
Going back a page, Hilary, the yellow oleander looks really beautiful. I took a cutting from a slightly paler version last year and it is flowering already. As is a peachy version which is also a cutting taken from a bush last year. They take so easily from cuttings just standing in water in the hot summer months. The last photo is of a bush I saw last weekend and took a few cuttings from. Fingers crossed.

I also bought a small plant on the internet last year, Nerium oleander 'Barcelona'. It has taken well and has 8 or 9 new shoots coming up. No flowers as yet but I am hoping it will look like this (a slightly purple hint to it rather than pure pink)https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=d5yyvqKT&id=FFA3DFFB839515559677819C58D95B044C266D11&thid=OIP.d5yyvqKToygoNqcojlr7-gHaFj&mediaurl=https%3A%2F%2Fth.bing.com%2Fth%2Fid%2FR779cb2bea293a3282836a7288e5afbfa%3Frik%3DEW0mTARb2VicgQ%26riu%3Dhttp%253a%252f%252fgardenbreizh.org%252fmodules%252fpix%252fcache%252fphotos_110000%252fGBPIX_photo_118150.jpg%26ehk%3Dk7buYG3P%252bqk8h%252bZwPLMOTmC8U0J5JaCPu5%252fT7A3UmkU%253d%26risl%3D%26pid%3DImgRaw&exph=400&expw=533&q=nerium+oleander+%27Barcelona%27&simid=608033958955131300&ck=A0BA7EC2EC41ED74E440AB634606D4AB&selectedindex=0&form=IRPRST&ajaxhist=0&ajaxserp=0&vt=0&sim=11
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #522 on: June 26, 2021, 09:36:45 PM »
Trying again with the link to Nerium oleander 'Barcelona' http://gardenbreizh.org/photos/Michel/photo-118139.html
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

John J

« Reply #523 on: June 27, 2021, 04:55:48 AM »
Some of our oleanders that are in flower at the moment. The double pink is fragrant.

Hilary

« Reply #524 on: July 01, 2021, 08:42:19 AM »
Plumbago auriculata, Cape Leadwort
A blue flower to start off July
MGS member