Coronavirus situation

• 877 Replies

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Coronavirus situation
« Reply #435 on: January 15, 2021, 10:47:12 AM »
No rain to speak of, eh? Lucky you. I wish I could send you half of what has fallen here recently. A most miserable Christmas and New Year weather-wise and ruling out any serious gardening work. The last couple of days have been sunny but the ground is still waterlogged. To make matters worse, we have 3 nights coming up in which below 0°C temperatures are forecast. The soil shouldn't freeze too deeply as the temperatures will rise during the day, Still, risky moments on the horizon.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

John J

« Reply #436 on: January 15, 2021, 12:26:35 PM »
David, it seems I was a little premature as yesterday we had several spells of heavy rain. In the morning I went to the pharmacy and supermarket for 'essential supplies' and as I left the shop the heavens opened and I got soaked returning to the car. Not complaining though as we really need it. Supposed to rain today too but no sign so far just bright sun and the occasional fluffy cloud.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #437 on: January 16, 2021, 08:21:11 AM »
Same situation here in Umbria David - I have taken a few measures to protect vulnerable plants - mainly Salvias that came from you earlier in the year that are most at risk this first winter and am hoping my Mimosa will survive as it is in full bud. All in the lap of the gods now🤞
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Hilary

« Reply #438 on: January 21, 2021, 10:35:19 AM »
SUNNY SUNDAY WALK IN KORINTHOS, JANUARY 2021

1 Kalamia beach, the way I like it, to ourselves
The wind was coming off the snow topped mountain so we retreated inland in search of garden flowers

2 Mirabilis jalapa
3 Polygala myrtifolia
4 Solanum rantonnetii
5 Begonia rex
6 Senecio angulatus
7 Malvaviscus arboreus
I was going to crop the roof tiles off this photo until I saw the bomber
8 Pyracantha coccinea
9 Mirabilis jalapa

Any plant name corrections gratefully accepted
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

John J

« Reply #439 on: January 24, 2021, 08:14:14 AM »
No political connotations intended,  ;), but our Bidens that we thought might only be a short term performer seems to be making a comeback.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #440 on: January 24, 2021, 08:23:17 AM »
  🤣
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #441 on: January 24, 2021, 03:58:55 PM »
By Jo(ve)! (sorry, couldn't resist). Mine has long since died down. But the myriads of little seedlings that germinated during the summer under the cover of the parent plant inspired me to collect seed and treat it as an annual. If the seeds do germinate this year it will be interesting to see if they come true, or revert to yellow. It will also be interesting to see if the parent plant re-emerges in spring. I doubt it, though.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #442 on: January 25, 2021, 08:43:44 AM »
Disastrous start to the day here -awoke to find heavy rain falling as sleet as the temperature dropped well below what was forecast. This after a day of heavy, continuous rain.....everything in the garden looks well and truly battered, subdued and the sky heavy and grey. Nothing to do but wait and see with fingers crossed.........

Hilary

« Reply #443 on: February 07, 2021, 10:25:16 AM »
WHITE FLOWERS SNAPPED IN FEBRUARY OF OTHER YEARS

Capsella bursa-pastoris, Shepherd's purse, near Stymphalia, Corinthia in 2014

Argyranthemum frutescens, Paris Daisy seen in a friend’s garden in Kiato, Corinthia again in 2014

Codiaeum variegatum, Croton in flower in 2018 in our home. It got too big for the space allotted so we let it go

Crassula ovatum, Jade plant  in 2006 on our south facing balcony. It is going into flower right now and several of its offspring are on the balconies of other flats in the block
MGS member

Charithea

« Reply #444 on: February 07, 2021, 04:36:00 PM »
They are all lovely.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Hilary

« Reply #445 on: February 08, 2021, 09:09:10 AM »
YELLOW FLOWERS IN FEBRUARY OVER THE YEARS

2011 Narcissus tazetta in a Friend's garden here in Corinth

2011 Yellow freesia from our balcony

2013 Oxalis pes-caprae , Bermuda buttercup, Corinth

2014 Euphorbia helioscopia, Sun spurge, the ancient port of Lechaion, Corinthia. Unfortunately, the hole in the fence round the ancient port.  has now been expertly closed

2016    Erysimum corinthium near the Heraion, Corinthia. I see I have already sent this photo to a thread ‘Plant of the Day’
MGS member

Hilary

« Reply #446 on: February 09, 2021, 09:06:39 AM »
ORANGE FLOWERS SEEN IN FEBRUARY

I don’t know if this orange freesia was on our balcony or a low  balcony I pass on the way to the shops.
 I took the photo in February 2014

The photo of the Crocosmia, Montbretia was taken in 2013

Both flowers seen in Corinth
MGS member

Charithea

« Reply #447 on: February 10, 2021, 04:39:41 PM »
Hilary the orange coloured flowers are for me more pleasing. They appear warmer.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Hilary

« Reply #448 on: February 11, 2021, 10:33:17 AM »
GREEN PLANTS IN FEBRUARY
Not flowers but greenery

2011 Schefflera
 seen in Corinth and subsequently chopped down, by the owners, to knee height

2014 Brassica oleracea, Romanesco broccoli.
I probably bought this just to take its photo

2016 Crithmum maritimum, Rock samphire, Κρίταμο
Kokosi, Almiri, you can see photos of Kokosi on the Forum

2021 Pelargonium graveolens, Sweet scented geranium, Αρμπαρόριζα
In a churchyard in Corinth
MGS member

Hilary

« Reply #449 on: February 12, 2021, 09:13:00 AM »
BLUE FLOWERS IN FEBRUARY
We start off with a Grape Hyacinth I snapped in the area of the Ancient port of Lechaion in 2014.  The flowers are lying on top of one of the fallen marble columns. I have this photo in a couple of places on my computer, in one place I have named it Muscari commutatum and in another Muscari neglectum

Next, we have Bellevalia Hyacinthoides seen near the Heraion, Perachora, Corinthia in 2016. In the close up photo the flower appears to have a pink tinge which is a reflection of my very pink anorak. I think the plant was identified for me by this Forum

Lastly, we have Speedwell, Veronica glauca seen February 29th 2016.
In my diary I write that on our way to Corinth from Sparta
‘ stopped at blue field near Tripolis’
I am glad to find that I have a photo of the field to share with you
MGS member