Coronavirus situation

• 877 Replies

Hilary

Re: Coronavirus situation
« Reply #330 on: August 03, 2020, 07:33:56 PM »
Still on the subject of Lantana

I remembered taking a photo, which I had discarded, of white Lantana but managed to find it hiding somewhere in the computer.

The bright red Lantana I do not remember at all but it seems to have been flowering one November in Corinth 
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Charithea

« Reply #331 on: August 04, 2020, 10:44:17 AM »
Hilary thank you again for all the photos of flowers and of the Greek Ancient sights be it old or new photos.  Our daughter taught in Kifissia for a few years and spent her week- ends travelling around Greece and the isles sending us cards and even the occasional poem. I still have the cards saved so when I have free time I will go through them again. I would love to see all the wild flowers that grow around those places. We have been on Spring trips  and were enjoyable despite suffering from nausea. i am a bad passenger but I don't might the suffering as long as I can walk about nature and see and smell the flowers.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Hilary

« Reply #332 on: August 04, 2020, 11:53:03 AM »
Have you seen the photos posted by Liberto Dario on FB  of wild flowers on Crete?

The flowers are so many and clustered together, I think I will put visit Crete in spring on my TO DO list
MGS member

John J

« Reply #333 on: August 04, 2020, 02:01:06 PM »
Hilary, all of Liberto's recent FB postings have been excellent. Thea and I have been to Crete together on 2 occasions. Once on holiday based in the Heraklion area, when we did things like walk the Samaria Gorge and visit Knossos. The other was to attend the 2010 MGS AGM that was based in Chania. Thea has also been with 2 female friends on a Ladies only trip when they hired a car and travelled around the island. We'll have to dig out some of the photos from the computer archives!
I would love to go back again sometime and see more of the island.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Hilary

« Reply #334 on: August 04, 2020, 04:28:08 PM »
 August flowers in years past

Hibiscus rosa-sinensis in Lechaion, Corinthia
 and Stapelia grandiflora in Ierapetra, Crete
MGS member

Hilary

« Reply #335 on: August 05, 2020, 05:06:29 PM »
August flowers, eight years ago

Two photos, taken on the same day, of flowers more or less the same colour in Sparta

Justicia brandegeeana

Lagerstroemia indica
MGS member

Charithea

« Reply #336 on: August 06, 2020, 11:47:37 AM »
The Justicia brandegeeana is doing us proud but no matter how much loving care I bestow on the Lagerstreomia indica they stubbornly refuse to flower.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Hilary

« Reply #337 on: August 06, 2020, 12:59:20 PM »
Strange, but now I come to think of it I don't remember seeing any Lagerstroemia in Corinth. It is much wetter in Sparta   
MGS member

Hilary

« Reply #338 on: August 06, 2020, 03:21:55 PM »
August flowers in Thrace, Greece

Solanum elaeagnifolium

Eryngium maritimum

In 2006 we were invited to a christening near Maronia which is near Komotini, Thrace, Greece.
The christening was held in a small chapel near the sea.
The next day we swam in the Northern Aegean off a beautiful beach of bright white pebbles.

The two flowers which star in this post were at the edge of the beach 
MGS member

Hilary

« Reply #339 on: August 07, 2020, 03:26:17 PM »
AUGUST FLOWERS IN THE UK

I am cheating today as the August flower photos I have left were taken in the UK

Passiflora caerulea

Hydrangea arborescens ‘Annabelle’
MGS member

John J

« Reply #340 on: August 08, 2020, 07:21:05 AM »
Hilary, I hope you don't mind my encroaching on your idea, with a few August flowers here in Cyprus taken this morning. Plants that are continuing to flower despite the intense heat we have been experiencing so far this summer (hovering around, and sometimes over, the 40 degrees C).
Tecoma stans
Plumbago
Bauhinia forficata
Hibiscus tiliaceus
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Hilary

« Reply #341 on: August 08, 2020, 09:20:29 AM »
Lovely flowers. I can't decide which I like best!
MGS member

Hilary

« Reply #342 on: August 08, 2020, 04:39:46 PM »
AEGINA
In 1966 I went on a Pilgrimage, arranged by an organization connected to the church. The boat left Corinth, passed through the canal then reached Aegina we returned in the evening again passing through the canal.
We visited the church of Saint Nektarios then went to the beach at Aghia Marina and in the early evening went to the temple of Aphaia.
A photo of the old church of Saint Nektarios and one of the new church. 

Another visit was with a group of fellow members of THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN   SOCIETY in 2001 when we visited gardens and the temple.
Three photos of the temple
You can read an account of the 2001 AGM in THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN number 27, January 2020 by Freda Cox

The last time I was there was with a group of my husband’s old school friends and involved a visit to the bird sanctuary, a visit to a potter, a visit to the new church of Saint Nektarios and of course the temple.
A photo of the sea view from our hotel balcony, many pine trees and olive trees

A trip to Munich has long been on my TO DO list to see the sculptures from the temple of Aphaia in the museum there
MGS member

Hilary

« Reply #343 on: August 10, 2020, 05:00:37 PM »
HYDRA
I have been to Hydra twice, as far as I remember, the first time on 20th April 1967
The first four photos show the tightly packed houses round the port interspersed with some bushes. In one photo it looks like Wisteria growing up the side of a house 

The second time was in 1993 with a factory excursion from Corinth, through the canal to Hydra where we spent the day and back through the canal again.
The last four photos are from 1993 and there appears to be some small cypress trees growing here and there

As cars are not allowed on Hydra donkeys are used as beasts of burden and the photo, somewhat doctored, shows them at the port waiting to be loaded
I believe that conditions are better for the donkeys now and that there are special shaded places for them to stand
MGS member

Hilary

« Reply #344 on: August 11, 2020, 04:52:37 PM »
POROS

The first time I was on Poros was the 21st April 1967.

The first two photos show the town of Poros and its landmark clocktower. I think the hill was covered in Prickly pear plants at the time but later photos show pine trees. The town has a few cypress trees scattered here and there

The third photo shows the view to the south and the narrow straight between Poros and the Peloponnese. Apparently, the famous lemon orchard is there on the mainland but I have never been there, another place to put on the list.

Poros can be reached by boat from Piraeus or by a ferry boat from Galata on the mainland

Not a television aerial to be seen

The last three photos are of Poros in 2007 starring olive trees, pine trees and a cypress tree in a church yard
MGS member