Coronavirus situation

• 887 Replies

Hilary

Re: Coronavirus situation
« Reply #255 on: June 19, 2020, 06:07:58 PM »
RED FLOWERS IN JUNE numbers 4-7

The first two were snapped in Sparta, Lakonia in 2014

The last two were seen last week when I escaped from the house, here in Corinth, for a couple of hours. 
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Hilary

« Reply #256 on: June 20, 2020, 04:05:57 PM »
ORANGE FLOWERS IN JUNE numbers 4-6

1 Echeveria leucotricha, once growing on our balcony
2 Punica granatum, Sparta, Greece
3 Apricot coloured roses, from a garden in Ancient Corinth

MGS member

Charithea

« Reply #257 on: June 21, 2020, 03:45:48 PM »
Hilary you latest photographs have beautiful soft colour and restful to the eyes.  We have the first two growing in our garden but roses are another story which I am always complaining about.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Hilary

« Reply #258 on: June 21, 2020, 03:52:00 PM »
Yes I love roses. I had hoped to see roses today when we went for a drive but no it was all Oleander, Oleander, Oleander.
The area we went to was by the sea and all the houses are mainly summer houses I expect the owners  just have plants which can look after themselves
MGS member

Hilary

« Reply #259 on: June 21, 2020, 03:56:38 PM »
YELLOW FLOWERS IN JUNE numbers 7-11

7 Parkinsonia aculeata, Corinth, Greece
8 Canna lily, Chani tou Anesti between Corinthia and Argolis
9 Oenothera fruticosa glauca, Sparta, Lakonia, Greece
10 Santolina chamaecyparissus, Alea Rest Stop, Arcadia, Greece
11 Santolina chamaecyparissus, Alea Rest Stop, Arcadia, Greece
MGS member

Charithea

« Reply #260 on: June 22, 2020, 09:38:29 AM »
Nice mix of yellow coloured  flowers Hilary.  Our Echeveria leucotricha leuco=white, tricha=hair (two can play this game Carole) is flowering right now under the kitchen window.

Charithea

« Reply #261 on: June 22, 2020, 09:58:44 AM »
Yesterday, I posted some photos and some information, spell checked it, posted it and I got the message that there was an update and promptly lost everything. So i am having another go this morning.  During our isolation we went round the garden and decided certain things could be changed to reduce the amount of time needed to keep them under control and also improve the look of the areas. Some of our Aloe arborescens grew high and spread due to the two good winters we had so we cut/dug them out and bagged them up. It was a rather tiring job, but we now have a large area to replant. We also had to crop some branches of the Melia azedarach as they were hanging over our  neighbour's driveway. I made sure that the tall high branches were not touched because it is the resting place of the Golden orioles when they come visiting in the spring. All these 'greenery' was finely taken away to the village Green Point.

Hilary

« Reply #262 on: June 22, 2020, 03:26:05 PM »
That looks like a lot of work, congratulations
MGS member

Hilary

« Reply #263 on: June 22, 2020, 03:29:15 PM »
PINK FLOWERS IN JUNE numbers 7-12

7 Althea, Corinth, Greece
8 Clerodendrum bungei, Chani tou Anesti, between Corinth and Argos
9 Papaver, I have no idea where we saw this
10 Cotyledon orbiculate, Sparta, Lakonia, Greece. The parent of this plant is flowering now on our back balcony
11 Cotyledon orbiculate, closer 
12 Two coloured rose, Rest Stop Tripolis, Arcadia, Greece

MGS member

Hilary

« Reply #264 on: June 23, 2020, 05:13:59 PM »
A SUNDAY WALK IN JUNE

On Sunday we chose to walk in an area near the sea where, although near a village, most of the houses between the abandoned railway lines and the sea  are holiday homes.

This reflects in the choice of plants in the small gardens Bougainvillea, Oleander and  Plumbago, plants which can look after themselves
MGS member

Hilary

« Reply #265 on: June 24, 2020, 06:53:50 PM »
A SUNDAY MORNING WALK IN JUNE PART 2
AG GERASIMOS
Apart from the aforementioned Bougainvillea, Oleander and Plumbago we also saw

Morning Glory, I love the shadow of the umbrella my husband is holding over the plant so I can take its photo.
Jacaranda, I only saw this as I was watching where I was walking and saw the fallen petals.
My husband pointed out the Magnolia tree, again I would never have noticed it
Other plants we saw were Jasmine, Trumpet vine, Blue Potato Bush, Angel’s Trumpets and a field of Wheat

MGS member

Hilary

« Reply #266 on: June 24, 2020, 06:58:49 PM »
Oops I forgot the photos
A SUNDAY MORNING WALK IN JUNE PART 2
AG GERASIMOS
Apart from the aforementioned Bougainvillea, Oleander and Plumbago we also saw
Morning Glory, I love the shadow of the umbrella my husband is holding over the plant so I can take its photo.
Jacaranda, I only saw this as I was watching where I was walking and saw the fallen petals.
My husband pointed out the Magnolia tree, again I would never have noticed it
Other plants we saw were Jasmine, Trumpet vine, Blue Potato Bush, Angel’s Trumpets and a field of Wheat

I was too busy thinking about my reason for using the common names , I was feeling lazy
MGS member

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #267 on: June 25, 2020, 12:24:57 AM »
I was reading about Charithea's satisfaction with having been able to get some difficult plants to grow for her through trial and error. Well done Charithea. Where plants are concerned, I think it is always worth a try. I am hoping to be able to post a photo or two of my first ever Crocosmia flowers. Two buds waiting to open. I have tried umpteen times and these two plants are the only two to have survived, let alone flower. Now in their third summer and they were planted as flowering sized corms. Fingers crossed.

Even plants that are not difficult give satisfaction as they grow. Two years ago I took a photo of what I think was a Silver-washed Fritillary. They are the usual ones in my garden. It was gliding just at the moment I shot the photo. Today I took a photo of the same spot for comparison. Everything here is grown in black plastic (unfortunately) 50lt tubs as there is the concrete roof of Roman catacombs under them.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

John J

« Reply #268 on: June 25, 2020, 05:07:43 AM »
Earlier this week we ventured a bit further afield than we have been of late due to the restrictions and visited a number of nurseries we hadn't seen for quite some time. One we hadn't been to for a few years in fact and it was good to see the owner again and have a bit of a chat. We spotted the plants in the photo and they looked a little different to the usual cannas. It seems they are hybrids and apparently have been hybridised to the extent that their origins have been lost. They now go under the name of Canna x generalis. Needless to say we picked up a couple.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #269 on: June 25, 2020, 08:24:44 AM »
I find your last two sentences both sad and worrying - hybridising to the extent that the poor plants are now just 'generalis' . On the other hand some of the way out names given to new introductions of Salvias for example also drives me mad. Perhaps another example of old age grumpiness 😊
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.