Coronavirus situation

• 879 Replies

John J

Re: Coronavirus situation
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2020, 04:01:11 PM »
One of our variety of hibiscus, this one is Hibiscus platanifolius.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Hilary

« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2020, 07:57:31 PM »
Sedum adolphii

I do like the story of how Karl Purpus found this sedum growing near a Sulphur spring in a ravine in Mexico

The first two photos are of Sedum adolphii in 2007

The second two are of the same plant in the same pot but in a stand so that it copies the way it hangs down in its native Mexico, not that hot dry Corinth is anything like a damp ravine in Mexico

The flower head is much smaller 13 years later
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2020, 10:25:52 PM »
Good to hear that everybody is keeping well. My employer has come up with the idea of teaching our lessons online so I have been rather busy lately teaching and training up on the software needed. Yesterday and today 2 full days of tidying up the garden. So much is about to flower. I have over 30 types of seed germinating. Can't think where I am going to put even half or a quarter of the plants that grow even though half of them are annuals which I grow every year. The plan was to pass the bulk onto other people but now that seems out of the question.

Re freesias, Mine are now flowering. The blue one is, I think, 'Blue Skies' but I don't know for sure. I bought 'Blue Moon' this year which has less white but it has yet to flower.

I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2020, 08:27:33 AM »
Erysium 'Red Jep' today - a new acquisition last year. It has made a large plant and is already smothered in flowers and unopened buds. Good evergreen foliage too. Second photo shows pleasing combination with Euphorbia mysirintes.
I love Erysiums and they should do well for me but previously have been disappointed.
Hopefully now I have found one that will continue to perform.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2020, 10:22:56 AM »
Hi Umbrian,

Even though Red Jep is a perennial, I have found it to be short lived so get some cuttings on the go  :)
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

John J

« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2020, 10:28:41 AM »
Despite the unseasonally cold weather we have been experiencing since we returned some of our fruit trees are in flower. Perhaps Spring is on its way after all. In this case plum and apple.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John J

« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2020, 02:36:57 PM »
During the pre-tour in Mallorca before the AGM in Alicante we acquired a couple of cuttings of Jaborosa integrifolia. I'm happy to say that they seem to have settled in and hopefully they will spread to fill the space allotted to them.

Hilary

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2020, 02:45:07 PM »
Graptopetalum paraguayense. Mother of Pearl plant

We have several of this very useful  plant in pots.
The first photo was taken several years ago
The next three photos are of a younger plant in a new planting arrangement 

MGS member

John J

« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2020, 07:10:56 AM »
Alyogyne huegelii coming into full bloom. The flowers seem to glow in the sun.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2020, 08:12:49 AM »
Unusually warm March days have seen Narcissus and other spring bulbs fading quickly but this clump has given me great pleasure for some time. Now it is well past its best .......and the temperatures have plummeted and we are forecast snow. The moral is to appreciate and enjoy what we have I think. Take care everybody.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2020, 12:09:46 PM »
I have a few different types of Narcissus out at the moment. This one, Narcissus jonquilla 'Suzy' is very sweet smelling. I won't be enjoying it much today, though, as it is freezing outside despite there being full sun. Forecast to -1°C tonight - and I dismantled mty little green house just last week! 4 or 5 plants will need fleece tonight  :(

Keep well  :)

John J

« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2020, 03:35:45 PM »
Another cheerful plant in the sun is Phlomis lunariifolia.

Hilary

« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2020, 05:49:38 PM »
Bougainvillea

This plant, in a far too small pot, got a horrible illness last year as did another bougainvillea plant at the end of the balcony and my neighbour's two plants. We couldn't cope with the mess so we both cut our plants down drastically.

All plants seemed to enjoy the harsh pruning and set to producing new shoots and this particular one, huge leaves.
Now I see that there are more new branches which need to be tied back.
MGS member

John J

« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2020, 05:53:22 AM »
One of our Passionflowers has opened in time for Easter, but it seems that to all intents and purposes the whole celebration will be cancelled this year.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2020, 07:54:44 AM »
During these harsh days of isolation we gardeners find hope and consolation in our gardens and plants. Yesterday an artist friend sent me a photo of one of her latest creations - a beautiful rendering of Helleborus foetidus. She and her husband bought a ruined collection of house and farm buildings not far from our former home in the hills and set about the restoration themselves. I encouraged her interest in plants and gradually a beautiful 'wild' garden began to establish around the main house with suitable additions from mine. Helleborus foetidus grows abundantly in the surrounding woods and soon became a favourite addition. I think this painting captures it well and is a pleasing change from a photo.