Coronavirus situation

• 877 Replies

John J

Re: Coronavirus situation
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2020, 07:36:49 AM »
Going with the bright yellow theme we have the Coronilla valentina in our garden followed by Asphodeline lutea on a Jordanian hillside.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 08:54:34 AM by Alisdair »
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2020, 07:41:01 AM »
Photo of the day - a mood lifting group of white Hyacinths.  Every year friends give me pots of forced Hyacinths and after enjoying them in the house I plant them in the garden. Some do better than others but these have really established well and they last so much longer in the cooler outside conditions.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2020, 08:58:17 AM »
We do the same as you, Carole - and it was really interesting and a bit of a surprise to know that our white ones, out in the garden here in Sussex, are at exactly the same stage as yours this morning! I'd have thought we'd be a bit later than you.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Hilary

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2020, 06:10:16 PM »
Municipal planting Madrid,

My daughter sent me these photos of municipal planting in Madrid taken on Sunday 8th March when a large number of people took part in a march for International Women's Day.

On Saturday 14th March police were using drones fitted with loud speakers urging people walking in the area of the Madrid Rio, a river side park, to go home.
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

John J

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2020, 07:18:58 AM »
Today's photo is of a rather cheerful Loropetalum chinense.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2020, 07:42:08 AM »
Today I have chosen a photo of Vinca - a plant that survives in the most inhospitable of situations - here in a very rooty, shady spot under a huge Bay tree. It does not exactly flourish but hangs on and produces a few cheering flowers.😊
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

John J

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2020, 02:41:42 PM »
Lots of our Scilla peruviana are beginning to burst into flower. How they got the specific name of peruviana I don't know as they are native to the western Mediterranean region.

Hilary

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2020, 06:29:03 PM »
Kalanchoe fedtschenkoi

I was given a few cuttings of this plant several years ago and it thrived and multiplied. In the autumn of 2018, I decided that I really should do something about the two built in troughs on the sunny south balcony. I took cuttings of all the succulents and planted then in plastic pots, (horror, horror I always used to insist on ceramic pots)

The fifteen pots sat all winter on the floor of the balcony while I labored at getting all the old plants out of the trough together with, Shh don't tell anyone, the Bermuda Buttercup.

When spring arrived, the trough was ready to receive the plastic pots which sit very nicely ,their lips balancing on the edge of the trough, and are thus easy to lift out if it is ever needed.

When I say 15 pots, I am talking about seven different plants

MGS member

John J

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2020, 06:49:54 AM »
We have several Kalanchoe blossfeldiana of different colours in pots, some of which are starting to flower.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2020, 09:41:51 AM »
Narcissus in springtime are always a welcome sight - this clump has established and multiplied well but unfortunately the label is long lost.

TROPICBIRD

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2020, 10:03:42 AM »
Thank you ladies. We have returned from Jordan this morning and our garden is full of flowers. We will spend lots of hours in it so there will be photos posted soon.
Lovely photo Charithea.   May our gardening activities sustain us during our self-isolation / quarantine. Look forward to your photos ! I have verandas in Limassol, overlooking the sea. My succulents are doing well there. xx Lilian xx

Hilary

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2020, 04:13:49 PM »
Freesia, white

This year all my freesia seem to have disappeared. Even the “new “  bulbs I planted last autumn have mostly not bothered to perform . Luckily a couple of white ones have produced some flowers with delicate scent
MGS member

John J

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2020, 07:47:34 AM »
Our freesias are doing quite well this year, Hilary. I have only recently taken a photo of the white ones but I will try to get some of the other colours later and post them here.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2020, 08:29:48 AM »
Bulbs are strange - some years they perform well and others not. Today's photo is this year's solitary flower of Narcissus bulbicodum. I love these very particular blooms but in the best of years find them very shy with their flowers - am delighted this one has made an appearance though.😊

John J

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2020, 02:11:49 PM »
Earlier when I was posting photos of irises seen in Jordan I somehow managed to miss this one, Iris haynei.