Coronavirus situation

• 877 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
Coronavirus situation
« on: March 16, 2020, 08:09:31 AM »
Greetings to all MGS members from a beleaguered Italy. The impact of this latest virus will soon be affecting you wherever you live but I feel we gardeners are fortunate to have a passion that can sustain us during these troubling times. We can continue to tend our plants and gardens and hopefully find moments of solace in the wonder of nature.
Take care everyone  :)
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Hilary

Re: Coronavirus situation
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 08:45:36 AM »
I would like to add some ideas for us at home
Phone a friend or aged relative with something interesting to say
Wave to the neighbour across the street
Send an e email to someone you have not contacted for ages again with something interesting to say
And, last but not leas,t post a photo on the Forum of a cheerful plant  you have seen on your balcony, in your garden, in the street or in the countryside.

Here is a photo of an aged Clivia on our balcony
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Charithea

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 05:10:35 PM »
Thank you ladies. We have returned from Jordan this morning and our garden is full of flowers. We will spend lots of hours in it so there will be photos posted soon.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

John J

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 07:57:34 AM »
Unfortunately we were woken in the night by thunder and torrential rain which has continued into the morning, so no chance of setting foot outside to take photos in the foreseeable future!  :(
However, we did get some photos of plants in Jordan that will be posted on other threads once they have been sorted out.  :)
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2020, 08:07:33 AM »
Good idea Hilary - let's try to sustain one another.
Look forward to your posts John and Charithea- sharing what must have been a wonderful experience - something to sustain you through the trying times ahead...and your fans on the Forum😊
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

John J

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2020, 09:59:25 AM »
When we returned yesterday we did manage to,take a couple of photos of the roses that had opened on one of our bushes that we got from Avramis roses in Greece, via a local supplier.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Hilary

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2020, 10:37:49 AM »
Lovely
MGS member

John J

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2020, 02:13:31 PM »
Around lunchtime we had a short break in the weather and I managed to take a few photos before it closed in again. As we are now under 'house arrest', or more correctly home quarantine for 14 days having returned from a foreign country, albeit one that has had fewer cases than almost anywhere else in the world, I thought maybe I would ration posting them to one a day.
The first is Roldana petasitis that sits in a large container outside our kitchen door and is currently a mass of small, yellow flowers. A sight to brighten the day when we open the door in the morning.

Hilary

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2020, 05:08:04 PM »
Hi there,
I was wondering how I was going to phrase it  and you did it yourself. Ration yourself to one photo a day  or maybe twice a day so that we all have something to look forward to
I do enjoy seeing the photos of flowers blooming in your garden.
Many thanks
MGS member

John J

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2020, 07:21:12 AM »
Another splash of yellow beginning to appear as a bunch of Irises in our garden start to open. I'm not sure which they are, but below them are a couple of photos of Iris bismarckiana that we saw in Jordan.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 12:34:01 PM by Alisdair »

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2020, 08:11:12 AM »
Here is my cheerful photo of the day. A planter in the small garden to the front of the house, alongside the path to the door. The Euphorbia mysirintes is a permanent feature and to the back is a new, shorter growing and flowering Clematis ( just coming into growth ) The star performers have been the two Viola, planted in November and with a continuous display of flowers ever since.

Hilary

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2020, 08:40:53 AM »
Thanks to you both for the cheerful morning Photos
MGS member

John J

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2020, 11:35:01 AM »
To continue with the Irises, we also saw these Iris nigricans in Jordan. I'd love to have some of these in the garden. ;D

Hilary

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2020, 11:51:36 AM »
The National Flower of Jordan, I believe
MGS member

John J

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2020, 02:06:42 PM »
One more of the Jordanian irises, Iris regis-uzziae the second one a paler version on the point of opening. My apologies for the poor quality of the photos but it was raining with a bitterly cold wind blowing and so my hands were probably a bit unsteady.  :-[
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 06:05:03 PM by Alisdair »