What is this? - NOW SOLVED

• 6 Replies

John J

What is this? - NOW SOLVED
« on: March 06, 2020, 08:51:41 AM »
We haven't had one of these for a long time and this may not be over difficult.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 12:42:19 PM by Alisdair »
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John J

Re: What is this?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 08:25:47 AM »
Just realised that there has been no response to this so maybe the following will help.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 07:36:45 PM »
Melianthus major. Did you get it from me?
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

John J

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 08:12:00 PM »
It was either from you or from Sally at Sparoza, I can't remember which now.

Umbrian

• Email
Re: What is this? - NOW SOLVED
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2020, 07:17:30 AM »
This struck me as worthy of a 'What is this' post -not too difficult but something that I always find interesting
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2020, 02:40:17 PM »
Is it a seed pod on Chimonanthus?
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2020, 07:24:41 AM »
Exactly Fermi - they never cease to amaze me as being weirdly beautiful. I find the seeds quite easy to germinate and grow on (seeds not being my forte) and am always encouraging friends to grow this beautifully perfumed shrub.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.