Bay laurel tree fungus??

• 3 Replies

hampan

• Email
Bay laurel tree fungus??
« on: September 04, 2021, 10:10:47 AM »
 A clump of old (30 yr) bay leaf trees have for several years had leaf spot, first on the backs of leaves and now on all. They're probably 10m tall so no idea how to treat. This year lots of dry leaves on the ground for the first time. The trees are still full of leaves but whatever the problem is seems to be getting worse.

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Bay laurel tree fungus??
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2021, 12:18:57 PM »
Sorry hampan I can't really help you. Just replying so that you know we are seeing your message. The tree I have behind my garden is fine but trees a few metres away which are in almost full shade never look healthy. Could light intensity have something to do with it?
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

John J

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2021, 01:17:54 PM »
Hi hampan, I'm no expert on this subject but I believe there could be a number of reasons for your problem.
Several insects, aphids, etc, can excrete honeydew onto the leaves which can cause spots to appear.
Bacterial and/or fungal diseases could cause leaf spots.
Even sunburn, believe it or not, but that's highly unlikely.
Can I suggest you Google something like www.gardeningknowhow.co/edible/herbs/bay/sweet-bay-leaf-spots.htm.
Good luck finding an answer.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2021, 01:18:43 PM »
Looks a bit like spider-mite damage
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!