Euphorbia dendroides

• 6 Replies

John J

Euphorbia dendroides
« on: March 04, 2020, 10:11:46 AM »
Having awoken from its summer slumber our plant is showing its full potential.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Umbrian

• Email
Re: Euphorbia dendroides
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2020, 02:47:22 PM »
Splendid John- must look out for that one :)
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Umbrian

• Email
Euphorbia myrsinites
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2020, 02:54:46 PM »
Am especially fond of many Euphorbia because they give year long  value.
I use Euphorbia myrsinites in big planters a lot as an attractive edging plant and this one has rather take over. On two of the stems there are terminal inflorescences of new growth all with their own flowers making for a superb display
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 09:46:41 AM by Alisdair »
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

John J

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2020, 05:00:21 PM »
The thing with them, Carole, is that they need a lot of space. Ours is well over 2 metres tall and still growing. Also siting is crucial as they shed everything in summer, flowers, leaves, the lot and look completely dead, not an attractive sight, and obviously they need no water at all during this period. Then in the autumn, around August/September for ours, their body clock tells them its time to wake up, rain or no rain they suddenly sprout new leaves.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2020, 11:46:33 PM »
Near my old flat there was a derelict building that I used to look down on. There was , I presume, E dendroides growing on the roof. Not so tall as I imagine on the roof the are few nutrients. I came past the building last weekend and it is smothered in bright green new growth and lots of yellow flowers. Each summer it dries up just as you describe, John. Unless there are other Euphorbias that do the same I assume it is dendroides. I looked through the padlocked gate and there are some plants growing around the base of the building. I must see if I can get some seedlings.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

John J

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2020, 05:27:59 AM »
They do seed themselves around quite readily, David. We have to remove several small plants every year or we'd end up with them all over the place.

Hilary

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2020, 06:27:45 AM »
Euphorbia dendroides, Tree spurge

Seen in the Royal Botanic Garden Madrid in April 2018

The last photo was taken on the Greek island of Kea in April 2002

Euphorbia dendroides is mentioned in many issues of THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN,
I chose number 95, January 2019 for you to read
BOTANISING IN TUNISIA by Jonny Bruce

MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care