Montanoa grandiflora

• 10 Replies

John J

Montanoa grandiflora
« on: November 16, 2018, 11:39:17 AM »
We first came across this plant in the gardens at Chellat on the MGS trip to Morocco in 2014. (see first photo).
My wife eventually acquired one with the help of Fleur Pavlidis, who got it from Lefterios Dariotis, and we collected it from her on one of our transits through Athens airport. The second photo shows the first flowers produced by our small plant.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John J

Re: Montanoa grandiflora
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 08:35:21 AM »
The flowers have become seed heads. Once they ripen another chance to experiment!
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 12:01:13 AM »
John, I’ll have you know that you have a Koropi produced cutting from my Lefteris tree. I gave the rest of the babies to Sally for the Sparoza plant exchange because  don’t feel the need for a second Montanoa. My large specimen was flowering spectacularly when we had a downpour and all the petals ended up in the ground. I’m wondering if I can cut it back already because it isn’t a thing of beauty any more.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 06:34:46 AM by Fleur Pavlidis »
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

John J

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 06:07:52 AM »
Fleur, apologies for my poor sentence construction that didn't make it clear that the plant we got from you had been produced from one that you had received from Lefteris. Good luck with your tree whatever action you decide to take.

John J

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2019, 09:07:46 AM »
Our Koropi produced cutting of Montanoa grandiflora is showing signs of flowering again with several buds being produced in bunches. Here's hoping it doesn't suffer the same fate as its parent apparently did last December! :(

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2019, 09:02:39 AM »
Seems that rain is not always a blessing John but from the beautiful outbursts of flowers you posted photos of in another thread I would think you are more than happy at the moment😊
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Crandall

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2020, 11:14:12 AM »
Was there too much rain where you're at, John?

John J

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2020, 02:25:42 PM »
Hi Crandall, I'm not sure we can say we've had too much rain, any rain is welcome in this part of the world, but it has fallen in greater quantities and in a shorter period of time than is usual in recent years. See the Miscellaneous section Morning walks for photos of the results of the last 3 weeks of almost constant rain.

John J

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2020, 09:46:22 AM »
Our plant is now more than 2 metres tall and flowering profusely. The scent as you approach is amazing. The seed heads are also attractive and are beginning to show signs of ripening so maybe a chance to see if it's possible to propagate from them.

Caroline

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2020, 10:50:02 PM »
Wow, love those seed heads!  :)
I am establishing a garden on Waiheke Island, 35 minutes out of Auckland. The site is windy, the clay soil dries out quickly in summer and is like plasticine in winter, but it is still very rewarding. Water is an issue, as we depend on tanks. I'm looking forward to sharing ideas. Caroline

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2020, 07:02:48 AM »
Agree Caroline - as attractive as the flowers.😊
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.