Jackaranda

• 4 Replies

gertrude

Jackaranda
« on: August 07, 2020, 08:26:27 AM »
We have 3 Jacarandas, growing inpots,  approx 5 years old, kept as bonsai trees, for  ease of winter protection.
This year they have been loosing a few leaves here and there, not I add because of lack of water, we water frequently, and  there are no  signs of any pests, any ideas.
Pete and Jan. Retired 15 years ago and moved to Le Marche, Italy for the peace and quiet of the countryside and more sunshine, where gardening became a challenge.  We now have a lovely garden with an eclectic selection of plants including many wild flowers of which we are found of..

John J

Re: Jackaranda
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2020, 02:44:27 PM »
Hi, I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions as to why your trees are acting the way they are. To be honest I would never have thought of Jacaranda as being a suitable subject for bonsai. We have 4 mature trees, 3 of which I grew from seed, and they are fairly unpredictable with regard to their growth, being somewhat lax in habit, as well as their wood being extremely brittle and prone to breaking more easily than most trees. They also tend to hold their leaves well into the winter, losing them in early spring as the new growth emerges along with the flowers.
Sorry I can't come up with a solution but good luck with them and I hope the situation resolves itself in a positive way.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Jaken

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2020, 07:14:33 PM »
I Don't have any suggestions. This is one of my Jacaranda that I've grown from seeds. 1,5 years old in the pic and about 1,5 metres high.

The ones I have in a pot and the ones I've planted both drop their leaves when it gets colder.
Summerhouse with garden in Croatia, Dubrovnik.
Permanent home in Sweden 3000 km from summerhouse...

John J

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 07:05:42 AM »
This is one of our jacaranda trees shown this morning in the rain, with thunder and lightning rumbling and flashing around. Our trees tend to hold their leaves until the spring, losing them just in time for the flowers to begin opening and the new leaves to appear.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Jaken

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2021, 10:20:03 PM »
This is how my two Jacarandas looked last week. Hope they make it through this winter as well, it was a breef snowing some days ago, +1 degrees.

About two year old grown from seeds.
Fingers crossed.
Summerhouse with garden in Croatia, Dubrovnik.
Permanent home in Sweden 3000 km from summerhouse...