Strelitzia juncea

• 3 Replies

John J

Strelitzia juncea
« on: January 21, 2020, 02:51:09 PM »
On Friday 17th Jan Alisdair posted a photo of the above plant as the cover of the MGS Facebook page with the comment that he had been unable to grow one from seed. This morning I took a combined group of MGS and C3A Gardening in Cyprus Group members to a nursery on the outskirts of Lemesos. Coincidentally I found a few plants of Strelitzia juncea on offer, the first time I can recall doing so on the island. Naturally I bought one. We already have 2 very large, mature specimens of Strelitzia reginae, we've never acquired a Strelitzia nicolai as we find them to be too tall and the flower colour too insipid.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Strelitzia juncea
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 08:19:04 AM »
What a prize, John! (Now I don't have to go as far as South Africa to see it....)
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John J

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 06:49:28 AM »
Here you go, Alisdair, the first flower.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2020, 10:59:51 AM »
Congratulations, John; I'm very envious!  8) 8)
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society