Fungus on plum tree

• 2 Replies

David Dickinson

• Email
Fungus on plum tree
« on: December 16, 2019, 10:16:32 AM »
We had a very wet spring and now a month of very heavy rain is just coming to an end. Finally I could get some serious work done in the garden this weekend. But I noticed this fungus on my plum tree. Does anybody recognise it? Will it be fatal or is there something I can do? Any help appreciated.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Fungus on plum tree
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2019, 09:38:44 AM »
David, I can't tell you which species it is, but it is some sort of bracket fungus, and they are bad news in that they grow in the tree's heartwood, they're not superficial
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John J

Re: Fungus on plum tree
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2019, 09:42:16 AM »
David, I'm no expert on fungus but it looks like something I believe is called Horse's Hoof fungus. If so then Alisdair is quite right and they are bad news as they feed on dead wood, possibly having killed the tree in the first place.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)