Climbing (?) bush with large fruits ID'd by Fermi as Araujia sericifera

• 4 Replies

JTh

• Email
I was walking in the neighbourhood here in L'Alfàs del Pi, Alicante (Spain) and I saw several bushes with large fruits that I have never seen before. I'm not sure if they were climbers or bushes leaning on the fence along the road. The fruits were large (6-7 cm long), some of them turning purple, There were also some dry seed capsules, some of them had seeds attached to long, w.hite, silky fibres.
Does anybody recognize this?

_B237815.jpg
by Jorun Tharaldsen, on Flickr

Young seeds:

_B237816.jpg

_B237817.jpg

_B237818.jpg

« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 10:00:37 AM by Alisdair »
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Fermi

• Email
Re: Climbing (?) bush with large fruits
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 06:25:13 AM »
If it is a vine it could be Araujia sericifera the cruel vine or false choko
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

Umbrian

• Email
Re: Climbing (?) bush with large fruits
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 08:59:36 AM »
I  think you are right Fermi although mine has never had purple tinged seed pods. It always amazes me that the small white flowers produce such large seed pods.  It is a prolific self -seeder
by the way.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

JTh

• Email
Re: Climbing (?) bush with large fruits ID'd by Fermi as Araujia sericifera
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2019, 05:05:07 PM »
Thank you for  the identification, Fermi, I'm sure you are right, I think it is a climber as well.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Caroline

Re: Climbing (?) bush with large fruits ID'd by Fermi as Araujia sericifera
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2019, 09:16:21 PM »
Known here as moth vine, and a menace in native bush. I wage constant war on it, collecting the pods before they ripen, and removing the vines when I can get at them.  When cut, the stems bleed a sticky white sap. I've never seen a purple pod, but in all other respects it looks right!
I am establishing a garden on Waiheke Island, 35 minutes out of Auckland. The site is windy, the clay soil dries out quickly in summer and is like plasticine in winter, but it is still very rewarding. Water is an issue, as we depend on tanks. I'm looking forward to sharing ideas. Caroline