pink-flowered sprawling shrub ID'd by David Dickinson as Combretum indicum

• 3 Replies

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Dear folks, far and wide,
Have any of you come across this plant, and can you name it for me, please?!

It is the only one of its kind I have seen in Cyprus.
This specimen is growing vigorously in a roadside garden Polis, 29oct19.
It is over 2m high, but it had help from a fence.
The flowers are not (to my nose) fragrant.
I have not seen seeds/pods.

Thanks for looking,
Mike
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 10:54:44 AM by Alisdair »
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: pink-flowered sprawling shrub, Polis, Cyprus
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 01:41:25 AM »
Hi Mike

I am no expert but it looks like something I remembered seeing at the Botanic Gardens, Lisbon. Just looked in the guide book I bought to their plants on that visit and I think it could well be Quisqualis indica - or some other related species? It seems also  to go  under the name Combretum indicum.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Charithea

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2019, 06:01:00 AM »
Hi Mike. David is correct. It is a Quisqualis indica. I came across this plant about 30+ years ago in Lucea, Jamaica.  My friend informed me that they called it 'Rice and peas' ( their peas are small and reddish in colour).  There are some beautiful plants in Limassol and one near our school at Kolossi. We have two plants but they have not grown luxurious  as yet. I live in hope.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2019, 07:10:37 AM »
David & Thea - thank you very much!
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England