Combating climate change

• 0 Replies

John J

Combating climate change
« on: November 07, 2019, 06:06:34 PM »
I have recently been made aware of a citizens initiative here in Cyprus that is aimed at alleviating the effects of climate change on the island. Groups of people have got together and are planning to plant large numbers of trees in the 4 Districts, 300,000 trees in Lemesos, 300,000 in Nicosia and 100,000 each in Larnaca and Paphos.
Obviously this is a hugely ambitious project that will require a massive input from members of the public. Volunteers will be needed to do the actual planting, of course, but firstly the trees need to be sourced. This will require donations of small plants and, most importantly, donations of hard cash to fund the whole project.
I promised the young ladies from the Lemesos team that contacted me about this initiative that I would do what I could to spread the word about their efforts. So, this forum is one way of doing that.
Quite obviously I am not asking that Forumers donate cash or plants to this cause but maybe some can lend their advice and expertise in other ways.
For example; what species of trees would be suitable for the different locations envisaged; such as street trees; within the grounds of schools/Universities; in public recreation areas; if large enough sections can be identified even reforestation attempts.
On the subject of money, ideas for fund-raising. Cyprus is a member of the European Union, could a grant be requested from them or from other International organisations.
I would be more than happy to pass on any suggestions posted on this thread to the Lemesos Group.
Many thanks in advance.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)