yellow flowered climber

• 3 Replies

Hilary

yellow flowered climber
« on: November 11, 2019, 05:32:05 PM »
In May we went to our local nursery for a few odds and ends. This is always an opportunity to take a few photos
This flowering vine was at the back of the plot where overgrown and unwanted plants are usually dumped .
Now I see from the photo that they appear to be growing in pots tied high on the fence.
Can anyone enlighten me as the name ?
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Caroline

Re: yellow flowered climber
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 10:49:36 PM »
Could it be Doxantha unguis cati also known as Bignonia tweediana? It certainly matches the photo in an elderly gardening book I inherited from my mother.
I am establishing a garden on Waiheke Island, 35 minutes out of Auckland. The site is windy, the clay soil dries out quickly in summer and is like plasticine in winter, but it is still very rewarding. Water is an issue, as we depend on tanks. I'm looking forward to sharing ideas. Caroline

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 12:00:17 AM »
It does have those "cat's claws", doesn't it? It looks very much like the ones I see in Rome. But I don't know if there are any other similar species. It can be quite a pest in Rome as it is rampant.
I wonder if the nursery are letting it grow into the pots from a plant in the soil. That looks like a lot of foliage for the small pots to produce. Perhaps they use the "layering" technique to increase their stock. I knew about layering but here is an article that talks about 5 variations on the same theme. I wonder what type of plants will root with mound layering? I'd be afraid to try it with many of our mediterranean plants that like good drainage so much. https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/garden-how-to/propagation/layering/propagation-by-layering.htm
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Hilary

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 03:10:03 PM »
Many thanks Caroline and David

There are 42, if I counted correctly, synonyms for this plant, Dolichandra unguis-cati  being the accepted name
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care