Cuttings

• 3 Replies

Schizolobium

• Email
Cuttings
« on: November 07, 2019, 01:49:23 PM »
Whilst potting up some cuttings which I took in August, a gardening friend suggested I should share my procedure. I take no credit for it; I don’t remember where I came across it – that was probably 45 years’ ago – but since then I have successfully raised thousands of cuttings using this method.

I put a layer of the cutting medium (50% perlite, 50% potting compost) in the bottom of a 20cm pot, then place a 12cm pot inside the larger pot and fill the space between with the cutting medium. (Photo 1). The cuttings, usually six, are then inserted and firmed. The hoop (of stout plastic coated garden wire) is to support a clear plastic bag, which I remove as soon as growth is apparent.

This simple method has several advantages:
•   The cuttings are virtually assured of perfect drainage, whilst having a source of moisture from the layer below
•   When the inner pot is removed, the cuttings are accessible individually and can be extracted easily, their precious roots intact, without any digging around (Photo 2)
•   It uses much less cutting medium than simply filling the [larger] pot!

In this case the subjects were Cistus x hybridus var. corbariensis and Rosmarinus officinalis 'Boule'.

Once an astrophysicist but a now down-to-earth gardener. Brought up in South Africa, spent 15 years in Sussex establishing a large woodland garden which was open to the public under the NGS. Settled in Spain, on the Costa Tropical (Granada), creating a new, medium sized, irrigation-free garden.

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Cuttings
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 04:11:41 PM »
Thanks for the advice. Somehow cuttings are more successful when they don't have too much soil around them, aren't they. I grow mine in small transparent plastic glasses which I pick up from a  few bars that I know. The best ones are the ones that are tallish and relatively narrow so that roots grow downwards.  I slide the cuttings very close to the sides of the glass. I am going to pick up on your tip of putting a smaller container inside a bigger one so that the cutting is crammed on all sides. I prefer to use plastic glasses as it recycles what would be thrown away otherwise and it allows you to see the root growth as it starts to appear. Thanks Schizolobium :-)
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 08:09:44 AM »
Very interesting method Schizolobium and one I shall certainly try. I know David's method works well because I have  been the very grateful recipient of many lovely new plants grown by him in this way. My method, also passed on to me many years ago, is to root all cuttings in pure coarse sand and over the years it has served me well although since coming to live in Italy the problem of keeping the cuttings suitably moist in higher temperatures needs constant attention. Thanks for sharing from me too :)
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 04:52:28 PM »
Great, I'll try this.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.