Hotbin Composter

• 1 Replies

Sally

• Email
Hotbin Composter
« on: August 16, 2018, 02:19:30 PM »
I live in Spain and have recently been considering buying a Hotbin Composter. It is quite expensive so I am wondering if anyone on this forum has used one or can give me any information about it. 
Or maybe there is something else on the market that I could use to make compost in my small garden?
Thanks

Pallas

• Email
Re: Hotbin Composter
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 03:19:42 PM »
Hello Sally

I was in your position a few years ago when I first moved to Malaga. I was of course going to make compost, but when I asked around, I was told that in our climate composting is far too wasteful of water, as even enclosed bins have be watered fairly copiously during the dry summer months. My garden is quite small with not much space for a bin anyway, so I let it go... all part of the process of unlearning lots of temperate-climate gardening things!

If you haven't already, could you ask around locally whether gardeners compost, and if so, how?

Sorry, I know I haven't actually answered your specific question, but I just wanted to proffer this as food for thought so you don't get stuck with a water-snaffling bin if it is not feasible where you are.

S.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 03:25:45 PM by Pallas »
Small (300m2) south-facing garden on the outskirts of Málaga. RHS H2 / USDA 10b.