Climber for townhouse garden in Mallorca

• 3 Replies

Johanna

Climber for townhouse garden in Mallorca
« on: October 22, 2019, 08:00:15 PM »
Hello,
I am looking for advice in this fantastic forum. I am on the look out for either a screening taller hedge by a wall with trellis on the top. The space for the soil is  (length) 6mx0.50 m wide. Alternatively, I am thinking about planting a climber that can trail over the wall. The lower wall is approx. 1200 high + trellis 600 mm.  It is a southeast facing spot on a paved terrace.

Choysia ternata, Photinia fraseri 'Red Robin' or Pistachia may be good choices, right? Any advice?
When it comes to climbers it is more difficult. It is a fairly small space so it can't be too rampant and and litter too much. Ivy is not a choice for this particular spot.
Does anyone have good experience of the above here in the Balearics?

Thank you.
//Johanna

Caroline

Re: Climber for townhouse garden in Mallorca
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 11:58:33 PM »
How about Trachelospernum jasminoides  - ?  It's a climber that can be kept under control by clipping, will go both up and down and can also be used as groundcover.  It is attractively evergreen, and flowers in spring with sweet-scented white flowers.
I am establishing a garden on Waiheke Island, 35 minutes out of Auckland. The site is windy, the clay soil dries out quickly in summer and is like plasticine in winter, but it is still very rewarding. Water is an issue, as we depend on tanks. I'm looking forward to sharing ideas. Caroline

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 07:23:46 AM »
Trachelospermum jasminoides is a lovely plant that goes well once established but can burn up if facing too much sun with radiated heat from a wall behind.  Trachelospermum asiaticum tolerates full sun better in my experience. It's flowers are cream rather than white and, for me, has a less sweetly scented flower that can be quite overpoweringly strong.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 08:38:18 AM »
I'd agreed with Umbrian (Carole) that T. asiaticum would suit you better. We had T. jasminoides growing on a west-facing wall here in our warm southern Greece garden, and though it grew quite well for a few years in the end it succumbed to the hot dry summers.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society