Viola ID confirmed by Mike as Viola tricolor ssp. macedonica

• 3 Replies

John

Viola ID confirmed by Mike as Viola tricolor ssp. macedonica
« on: September 06, 2011, 10:00:58 AM »
It is surprising how seldom I have seen Viola species in the wild but I thought I should post this one perhaps for Mike as we don't seem to have had any wild ones yet. It was identified by George Sfikas as V. macedonica and I suspect that he was right but just in case I would like to run it past everyone who might be interested.
It was a lone clump growing on a rich low hill right next to a service station NW of Metsova in northern Greece on our MGS trip in May 2008.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 12:03:41 PM by Alisdair »
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Re: Viola
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 11:45:27 AM »
Thanks John; nice patch of it, nice photo.
I have seen ones like this, and others somewhat different, in the Pindos Mts; they can be very difficult to identify.
I prefer to lump it with Viola tricolor, as ssp. macedonica.
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

JTh

• Email
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 02:55:41 PM »
I have seen small violas  in Greece as well, there were loads of these growing in a grassy field together with wild tulips (T. orphanidea) near Megali Panagia, Halkidiki (altitude about 400 m). The photo is lousy, but the flowers are not so different from those shown above, could these be the same?
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 05:38:48 PM »
Another clump of Viola tricolor ssp. macedonica, seen on the same trip as John's.
I'd say Jorun's plants are the same species and subspecies.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 05:41:07 PM by Alisdair »
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society