More water lilies

• 19 Replies

John J

Re: More water lilies
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2019, 12:53:40 PM »
Being spirited away might not be a bad thing, Alisdair, if it was to the Elysian Fields as described by Plutarch.
"These are two in number, separated by a very narrow strait; they are ten thousand furlongs distant from Africa, and are called the Islands of the Blest. They enjoy moderate rains at long intervals, and winds which for the most part are soft and precipitate dews, so that the islands not only have a rich soil which is excellent for plowing and planting, but also produce a natural fruit that is plentiful and wholesome enough to feed, without toil or trouble, a leisured folk. Moreover, an air that is salubrious, owing to the climate and the moderate changes in the seasons, prevails on the islands. For the north and east winds which blow out from our part of the world plunge into fathomless space, and, owing to the distance, dissipate themselves and lose their power before they reach the islands; while the south and west winds that envelope the islands sometimes bring in their train soft and intermittent showers, but for the most part cool them with moist breezes and gently nourish the soil."
Sounds pretty much like heaven to me!
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John J

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2021, 03:21:44 PM »
There's been nothing on here for a while so I'm posting a few of our water-lilies that are on show today.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Hilary

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2021, 04:48:44 PM »
Perfect
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2021, 06:59:28 PM »
Beautiful flowers. Thank you for sharing,

Do you have a pond or do you grow them in tubs? Do you have fish to keep the mosquitoes in check? I have often wondered about procuring a half-barrel and growing some, But we have such problems here with the dreaded Tiger Mosquitoes https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aedes_albopictus . They put a damper on everything from spring right through to the end of autumn.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

John J

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2021, 04:48:21 AM »
David, if you look back at page 1 of this thread there are a couple of photos showing our small, raised pond and one of the 2 tanks that we have. The tanks are roughly 80 cms in diameter and 50/60 cms deep. We have a variety of tiny mosquito fish, not sure which one, that keeps the dreaded beasts in check. They are live-bearers and seem to reproduce prolifically. No idea what else they eat but they never need feeding.